supports these durable and dependable machines. Cat Pipelayers are purpose-built to meet the unique demands of pipeline customers. And like every Cat machine, Pipelayers are designed for long life, serviceability and rebuild capability to help keep owning and operating costs low. The PL72 answers customer needs for increased lift capacity, enhanced slope capability, ease of operation, performance and transportability.
- Engine Model
- Cat C9.3
- Flywheel Power
- Net Power - Rated - ISO 9249/SAE J1349
- Net Power - Rated - ISO 9249/SAE J1349 (DIN)
- U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV or U.S. EPA Tier 3/EU Stage IIIA equivalent
- Fuel Tank
- 109.6gal (US)
- DEF Tank(1)
- 4.5gal (US)
- Lift Capacity
- Operating Weight
- Shipping Weight
- 6.1 m (20 ft) Boom
- 7.3 m (24 ft) Boom
- Track Gauge
- Track on Ground
- Ground Contact Area (ISO 16754)
- Ground Pressure (ISO 16754)
- Shoe Width
- Width - Tractor - Standard Shoes
- Width - Tractor - Counterweight Extended
- Width - Tractor - Counterweight Retracted
- Width - Tractor - Counterweight/Boom Removed
- Track Gauge
- Length - Track on Ground
- Machine Height - Top of Counterweight
- Height - Machine - Cab and ROPS
- Boom Height (at SAE 1.22 m [4 ft] Overhang) 6.1 m (20 ft) Boom
- Boom Height (at SAE 1.22 m [4 ft] Overhang) 7.3 m (24 ft) Boom
Air Conditioning System
- Air Conditioning
- The air conditioning system on this machine contains the fluorinated greenhouse gas refrigerant R134a (Global Warming Potential = 1430). The system contains 2.5 kg of refrigerant which has a CO2 equivalent of 3.575 metric tonnes.
Built to Perform
- Integrated powertrain with differential steering and updated hydraulic system work together to provide power and improved machine maneuverability for any pipelayer application.
- Electro-hydraulics offer greater response and precise control to variable speed motors of the heavy duty winches for greater machine productivity.
- Differential steering maintains full power to both tracks for best-in class turning even with a loaded boom, increasing maneuverability in tight locations.
- Improved machine center of gravity for better slope capabilities.
Because Uptime Counts
- Equipped with Product Link™ which enables remote monitoring, improving overall fleet management effectiveness.
- Full left-side engine serviceability, including fill tube, dipstick, air cleaner, fuel filters, oil filter and coolant level check allows for quick and efficient routine service.
- High speed oil change is standard and makes servicing even faster.
- Hydraulic and powertrain filters and fuel tank drain are located at rear of machine and are conveniently serviceable from ground level.
- Pressure taps are placed within hydraulic system to allow for quick monitoring.
- Major components like the engine, transmission, and final drives are modular for quicker removal during service, saving cost and downtime.
Designed for Operators
- Implement joystick places all pipelayer implement controls and functionality in one hand.
- Low-effort, ergonomically designed and positioned control handleallows simultaneous, precise positioning of load line, boom, andextendible counterweight.
- Dual brake pedal controls provide enhanced maneuverabilityand steering control.
- Planetary differential steering contributes to superiormaneuverability in tight areas of operation as well as enhancedslope capability.
Work in Comfort
- Quieter, pressurized cab with heated/ventilated seat option improves operator comfort and productivity.
- Ergonomically designed seat is positioned for greater visibility to work area and convenient access to machine control lever, switches and pedals.
Built-In Safety Features
- Load Monitor Indicator (LMI) ready from factory and can accept regional LMI systems.
- Convenient steps, handles and guardrail provide safe access/egress.
- Enlarged roof top window with retractable shade, additional mirrors, and angled door improves visibility to the trench, boom and blocks.
- Standard operator presence detection system allows machine to idle when operator is not seated, but locks out power train to avoid unintentional movement.
- Rear vision camera available to further enhance visibility around machine.