797F Mining Truck
serviceability and comfort you will see why the 797F is the industry leader of its class. Combine these features with unmatched dealer support and you will see why more mine sites choose Cat Mining Trucks for their production needs.
- Nominal Payload Capacity
- 401ton (US)
- Heaped SAE (2:1) Capacity
- 240-267 m³ (314-350 yd³)
- Top Speed - Loaded
- Steer Angle
- Machine Clearance Turning Diameter
- Engine Model
- Cat® C175-20
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- U.S. EPA Compliant. Where applicable, the Cat C175-20 engine is compliant with U.S. EPA emission standards.
- Note (1)
- Power ratings apply at 1,750 rpm when tested under the specific conditions for the specified standard.
- Note (2)
- Ratings based on SAE J1995 standard air conditions of 25° C (77° F) and 99 kPa (29.32 Hg) barometer. Power based on fuel having API gravity of 35 at 16° C (69° F) and an LHV of 42 780 kJ/kg (18,390 Btu/lb) when engine is used at 30° C (38° F).
- Note (3)
- No low altitude arrangement (LAA) engine derating required up to 2134 m (7,000 ft) altitude.
- Note (4)
- No high altitude arrangement (HAA) engine derating required up to 4877 m (16,000 ft) altitude.
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 1000gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 306gal (US)
- 84gal (US)
- Front Wheels - Each
- 16gal (US)
- Final Drive - Each
- 49gal (US)
- Steering Tank
- 67gal (US)
- 311gal (US)
- Steering System - Including Tank
- 94gal (US)
- Brake/Hoist Hydraulic Lines
- 219gal (US)
- Brake Hoist System - Includes Tank
- 441gal (US)
- Brake/Hoist Tank
- 203gal (US)
- Torque Converter Sump
- 80gal (US)
- Torque Converter/Transmission System - Including Sump
- 166gal (US)
Weight Distributions - Approximate
- Front Axle - Empty
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Loaded
Approximate Weights - MSD II
- Front Axle - Empty
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Loaded
- Number of Discs per Side - Rear
- Number of Discs per Side - Front
- Outside Diameter
- Brake Surface
- ISO 3450:2011
- Pump Flow - High Idle
- Relief Valve Setting - Raise
- High Idle Body Lower Time - Float
- Body Raise Time - High Idle
- Effective Cylinder Stroke - Front
- Effective Cylinder Stroke - Rear
- Rear axle - Oscillation
- ±4.0 degrees
Weights - Approximate
- Target Gross Machine Operating Weight (GMW)
- Chassis Weight Range
- 210 630-219 146 kg (464,359-483,134 lb)
- Body Weight Range
- 41 368-61 235 kg (91,200-135,000 lb)
- Note (1)
- Refer to the Cat Mining Truck 10/10/20 Payload Policy for maximum gross machine weight limitations.
- Note (2)
- Body weight varies depending on body and liner configuration. Weight range for known applications.
- Note (3)
- Chassis weight with 100 percent fuel, hoist, body mounting group, rims and tires.
- ROPS Standards
- ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) for cab offered by Caterpillar meets ISO 3471:2008 ROPS criteria.
- FOPS Standards
- FOPS (Falling Objects Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449:2005 Level II FOPS criteria.
Capacity - MSD II - 100% Fill Factor
- 188-213 m³ (246-290 yd³)
- Consult your local Cat dealer for truck body recommendations.
- Heaped (SAE 2:1)
- 240-267 m³ (314-350 yd³)
- Forward - 1
- Forward - 2
- Forward - 3
- Forward - 4
- Forward - 5
- Forward - 6
- Forward - 7
- Differential Ratio
- Planetary Ratio
- Total Reduction Ratio
- Double reduction, planetary with full floating axles.
- Front Canopy Height - Empty
- Loaded Ground Clearance
- Height - Top of ROPS - Empty
- Engine Guard Clearance - Loaded
- Inside Body Depth - Maximum
- Loading Height - Empty
- Overall Height - Body Raised
- Rear Axle - Clearance - Loaded
- Overall Body Length
- Inside Body Length
- Overall Length
- Wheel Base
- Rear Axle - Tail
- Dump Clearance
- Centerline Front Tire Width
- Overall Canopy Width
- Outside Body Width
- Inside Body Width
- Centerline of Rear Dual Tire Width
- Overall Tire Width
- 59/80R63 – Michelin or Bridgestone
- Productive capabilities of the 797F are such that, under certain job conditions, TKPH (TMPH) capabilities of standard tires could be exceeded and, therefore, limit production.
- Sound Standards (1)
- The operator sound pressure level measured according to work cycle procedures specified in ISO 6394:2008 and 6396:2008 is 76 dB(A) for cab offered by Caterpillar when properly installed and maintained and tested with doors and windows closed.
- Sound Standards (2)
- Hearing protection may be needed when operating with an open operator station and cab (when not properly maintained or doors/windows open) for extended periods or in a noisy environment.
- Steering Standards
- ISO 5010:2007
Power Train – Engine
The Cat® C175-20 quad turbocharged and air-to-air aftercooled diesel engine has enhanced power management capability for maximum hauling performance in your most demanding mining applications.
The C175-20 is a 20 cylinder, single block, four stroke design that uses long, effective power strokes for optimum efficiency.
- Emission Standards
Where applicable, the Cat C175-20 engine is compliant with current U.S. EPA emission standards.
- Long Life
High displacement, low rpm rating and conservative power ratings mean more time on the haul roads and less time in the shop.
- Cat Common Rail Fuel System
The electronically-controlled system senses operating conditions and regulates fuel delivery for optimum fuel efficiency. This precise and flexible fuel system gives the engine the ability to meet emission regulations without sacrificing performance, reliability or durability.
- Cooling System
The flexible core design of the MESABI radiator means easier serviceability along with long life and high durability. The MESABI radiator comes standard on the 797F.
The tank on the air start system is ground level for easy serviceability.
Power Train – Transmission
- Mechanical Power Train
The Cat mechanical drive power train and powershift transmission provides you unmatched operating efficiency and control on steep grades, in poor underfoot conditions and on haul roads with high rolling resistance.
- 1 – Transmission
The Cat seven speed, planetary power shift transmission is matched with the C175-20 engine to deliver you constant power over a wide range of operating speeds.
- Robust Design – Designed for the higher power of the C175-20 engine, the proven planetary power shift transmission is built tough.
- Long Life – A dedicated oil tank and circuit provides cooler, cleaner oil for maximum performance and longer component life.
- Electronic Clutch Pressure Control
ECPC provides maximum performance, smooth shifting, long clutch life and a more comfortable ride.
- 2 – Lock-Up Torque Converter
Combines maximum rimpull and cushioned shifting of torque converter drive with the efficiency and performance of direct drive. The lock-up torque converter engages at approximately 8 km/h (5 mph), delivering more power to the wheels.
- 3 – Final Drives
Cat final drives work as a system with the planetary power shift transmission to deliver maximum power to the ground. Built to withstand the forces of high torque and impact loads, double reduction final drives provide high torque multiplication to further reduce drive train stress.
Engine/Power Train Integration
- Cat Data Link
Reduces your operating costs by electronically integrating the 797's machine computer systems. This optimizes overall power train performance while increasing reliability and component life.
- Body-Up Shift Inhibitor
Prevents the transmission from shifting above the pre-programmed gear without the body fully lowered. The machine can move forward but the speed is limited to avoid excessive racking when pulling away from a dump site.
- Overspeed Protection
The transmission control electronically senses engine conditions and automatically up-shifts one gear to prevent engine overspeeding.
- Programmable Top Gear
Transmission top gear maximum can be set using the Cat Electronic Technician service tool to help the operator maintain speed limits.
- Downshift Inhibitor
Prevents engine overspeeding by keeping the transmission from downshifting until engine speed reaches the downshift point.
- Controlled Throttle Shifting
Regulates engine rpm during shifting to reduce power train stress and clutch wear by controlling engine speed, torque converter lock-up and transmission clutch engagement for smoother shifts and longer component life.
- Reverse Speed Inhibitor
Prevents shifts into reverse when forward ground speeds are in excess of 4.8 km/h (3 mph).
Cat Braking System
- Integrated Braking System
The Cat, oil-cooled braking system delivers you reliable performance and control in extreme haul road conditions. The integrated system combines the service, secondary, parking brakes and retarding functions in the same system for optimum braking efficiency that does not burn fuel while retarding.
- Oil-Cooled Multiple Disc Brakes
Cat four wheel, forced oil-cooled, multiple disc brakes are continuously cooled by water-to-oil heat exchanger for exceptional, non-fading braking and retarding performance.
- Brake Design
Cat, oil-cooled disc brakes are designed with large discs and plates for reliable, adjustment-free operation and performance. Brakes are completely enclosed and sealed to prevent contamination and reduce maintenance.
- Long Life
An oil film prevents direct contact between the discs. This design absorbs the braking forces by shearing the oil molecules and carrying heat away to extend brake life.
- Parking Brake
Oil-cooled, spring-applied, hydraulically released parking brake is applied to all four wheels for superior parking capability on all grades up to 15 percent.
- Hydraulic Automatic Retarder Control (ARC)
Hydraulically activated, automatic retarder control system electronically controls retarding on grade to maintain optimum engine rpm and brake system performance. ARC is now adjustable in each gear.
Truck Body Systems
- Cat Truck Bodies
You have a choice of four MSD II (Mine Specific Design) bodies in conjunction with a configurable liner system to achieve the most efficient hauling solutions at the lowest-cost-per-unit-of-production.
- Body Selection
The Cat truck body program is committed to providing you the most efficient and highest value body solution for your operation. By studying your mine site and understanding the overall operational requirements and constraints, the body can be configured to meet the unique needs of your application.
- MSD II Body
The MSD II bodies are the number one choice in the mining industry. The internal body shells are designed and manufactured for superior impact and wear protection. Coupled with the Caterpillar mine specific design process the MSD II bodies optimize the balance of payload and durability.
- Truck Body Liners
A variety of liner options are available to save weight and extend body life through impact and wear management. The mine specific design system is utilized to provide you with the optimum liner for long life at your mine site.
- Box Section Design
The 797F frame uses a box-section design, incorporating two forgings and 14 castings in high stress areas with deep penetrating and continuous wrap-around welds to resist damage from twisting loads without adding extra weight.
- Steel Structures – Mild steel used throughout frame provides flexibility, durability and resistance to impact loads, even in cold climates and allows for easy field repairs.
- Castings – Castings account for 80 percent of the frame's weight and are key to providing durability in some of the world's toughest conditions. The large radii castings are resilient to frame flexing and ensure long life.
- Integral Four-Post Cab
Resiliently mounted to the frame to reduce vibration and sound, the integral ROPS is designed as an extension of the truck frame.
- Suspension System
Designed to dissipate haul road and loading impacts for longer frame life and a more comfortable ride.
- Durable Design – Rugged cylinders utilize large diameter bore and low pressure nitrogen/oil design for long life with minimal maintenance.
- Front – Front cylinders with preset caster and camber are mounted on the frame and serve as steering kingpins for a tight turning radius with excellent maneuverability and low maintenance.
- Rear – Rear cylinders allow oscillation and absorb bending and twisting stresses caused by uneven and rough haul roads rather than transmitting them to the main frame.
- Four-Bar Link Rear Suspension
The four-bar link suspension transfers and supports loads to the frame more efficiently than an A-frame design and allows more service area around the transmission.
- Steering System
Hydraulic steering control system is designed for exceptional smoothness and precise control. A separate circuit prevents cross contamination for long life.
- Operator Environment
You now have the choice to select a cab with the features you desire. There are three choices based on popular arrangements. Available offerings include a Standard Cab, Deluxe Cab or Deluxe Cold Weather Cab.
- Ergonomic Layout
To minimize operator fatigue and maximize productivity the all new F Series operator station is ergonomically designed for total machine control in a comfortable, productive and safe environment. Controls, levers, switches and gauges are positioned for ease of use.
- Viewing Area
Designed for excellent all-around visibility and clear sight lines to the haul road, the large viewing area offers exceptional visibility, allowing the operator to maneuver with confidence for high productivity. The air cleaners have been relocated to the front of the truck, allowing the operator increased visibility.
- Cab Features
- Air Suspension Seat with Three-Point Operator Restraint
- Hoist Lever
- Secondary Brake Pedal
- Monitoring System
- Steering Column
- Transmission Controls
- Storage Compartment
- Air Suspension Trainer Seat
- Operator Window
- Operator Controls
- Heating/Air Conditioning
- Four-Post ROPS
- Camera System Monitor (optional)
- MineStar Monitor (optional)
- Cup Holder
- Dome Courtesy Lights
- VIMS™ 3G Monitoring System
Provides operator critical health and payload information in real-time to keep the 797F performing at optimum levels. VIMS is able to monitor information from all vehicle systems. Ten different machine parameters can be viewed at once. Data can be downloaded easily by service technicians for troubleshooting, planning and lowering costs.
- Production and Payload Management
Information is available to manage payloads to improve fleet effectiveness and loading tool match and to prevent overloading to help extend component life and lower operating and maintenance costs.
- External Payload Indicators
Standard external lights or optional digital display to help loading tool operator reach payload target and minimize overloading.
- Road Analysis Control
Optional system measures frame rack, bias and pitch to help identify haul road problems so they can be repaired. This leads to improved cycle time, component lives and fuel efficiency.
An Off-board software reporting program that allows your service personnel to download a complete record of machine health and productivity data. Health and payload reports can be generated for more effective machine management, which reduces downtime and lowers operating costs.
- Advisor Display
The Advisor display provides real-time performance, maintenance and diagnostic data to the operator or service technician. A large number of machine parameters can be viewed including temperature, pressure, speed, and payload.
- Product Safety
Caterpillar is constantly improving our product to provide the safest work environment for the operator and those who work on your mine site. Safety is an integral part of all machine and system designs.
- Access and Egress
Improvements for machine level access and egress include a standard 600 mm (24 in) diagonal stairway across the front of the machine. Improvements for ground level access include an optional powered access stairway.
- Cat Detect System
Knowing what's around your 797F at all times is important. The Cat Detect system is factory installed as standard equipment on 797F Mining Trucks. The full Cat Detect system, RADAR AND CAMERA, provides both audible and visual indications of detected objects. This system uses a combination of short and medium range radars which surround the machine, along with cameras on each side to allow the operator to confirm the detected object. The cameras supplement the radar alerts and are selectable by touch screen menus through an intuitive interface.
- Overload Policy
Safety is integral to maintaining the highest productivity in your mining operations. The Caterpillar 10/10/20 Overload Policy assures that steering and braking systems have sufficient capacity to perform, even at 20 percent overload.
- Other Safety Features
- Slip resistant surfaces
- 76 mm (3 in) wide orange, three-point operator restraint
- Wide angle mirrors
- Body raised indicator
- Body retaining cables
- Guard rails
- Reverse neutralizer when dumping
- Low interior sound level
- Isolation Box
Lockout, tagout box mounted on front bumper includes engine shutdown switch, battery lockout, starter lockout and transmission lockout.
- Sustainability Features
The 797F Mining Truck offers continuous rear axle filtration, extended life filters and extended maintenance intervals, which aid in decreasing the amount of waste contributed to our environment.
- Advanced Surface Technology (AST)
Advanced Surface Technology (AST) is a replacement for hard chrome coatings on some steel parts, including suspension and hoist cylinder rods. This technology improves wear resistance and reduces repair time. Chrome has been eliminated to reduce environmental impact.
- Fuel Efficiency
The engine provides additional retarding by running against compression on downhill hauls. During retarding applications the engine ECM does not inject fuel into the cylinders for exceptional fuel economy.
- Commitment Makes the Difference
Cat dealers offer a wide range of solutions, services and products that help you lower costs, enhance productivity and manage your operation more efficiently. From the time you select a piece of Cat equipment until the day you trade or sell it, the support you get from your Cat dealer makes the difference.
- Dealer Capability
Cat dealers provide the level of support you need, on a global scale. Dealer expert technicians have the knowledge, experience, training and tooling necessary to handle your repair and maintenance needs, when and where you need them.
- Product Support
When Cat products reach the field, they are supported by a worldwide network of parts distribution facilities, dealer service centers and technical training facilities to keep your equipment up and running. Cat customers rely on prompt, dependable parts availability through our global dealer network, ready to meet your needs 24/7.
- Service Support
Every piece of Cat equipment is designed and built to provide maximum productivity and operating economy throughout its working life. Cat dealers offer a wide range of service plans that will maximize uptime and return on your investment, including:
- Preventive Maintenance Programs
- Diagnostic Programs, such as Scheduled Oil Sampling and Technical Analysis
- Rebuild and Reman Option
- Customer Support Agreements
- Application Awareness
Operating and maintenance costs are influenced by many application and site-specific factors, such as: material density, loading position, payload, grades, speeds, haul road design and maintenance. Your Cat dealer can provide you with an understanding of the effects application characteristics and operating techniques have on maintenance and operating costs.
Your Cat dealer can arrange training programs to help operator's improve productivity, decrease downtime, reduce operating costs and enhance safety.
- Servicing Ease
Easy access to daily service points simplifies servicing and reduces your time spent on regular maintenance procedures. Enhanced serviceability and long service intervals are designed to increase machine availability and productivity.
- In-Frame Access
Gives you easy access to major components for easy servicing and removal.
- Ground Level Access
Grouped ground level points allow you convenient servicing of tanks, filters, drains, batteries, AutoLube system, pressure taps, screens, fluid sight gauges and engine shutdown. Ground level VIMS data port permits easier downloading of information.
Automatic lubrication system reduces your maintenance time by automatically lubricating necessary components on a regular basis.
- Scheduled Oil Sampling
S·O·SSM sampling valves speed sampling and analysis reliability.
- Sealed Electrical Connectors
Electrical connectors are sealed to lock out dust and moisture. Harnesses are braided for protection. Wires are color-coded for easy diagnosis and repair.
- Optional Equipment
- Cat Detect System
- Cabin air precleaner
- Throttle lock
- Engine delay shutdown timer
- Antifreeze/coolant protects to –50° C (–58° F)
- Fuel tank (7570 L/2,000 gal)
- SL-V grease injectors
- Body heat
- Rear axle lubrication cooler
- External digital payload display
- Oil renewal system
- Oil renewal system with 3 day tank
- Engine coolant and oil heater for cold weather starts
- Road Analysis Control (RAC)
- Portable fire extinguisher
- Torque converter guard
- Brake wear indicator gauge
- Rims (wedge)
- Rim guard