797F Mining Truck
What makes the Cat® 797F Mining Truck the most productive 363-tonne (400-ton) truck in the market? Is it the best-in-class payload? Superior braking that leads to confident, productive operators? Or ...
a tough, rugged frame that delivers performance and long life no matter the conditions? Today’s 797F delivers all of this—and more. It’s fast, fuel efficient and delivers class-leading productivity, making it the industry benchmark for lower cost per ton in its size class. It hauls more every load, every cycle and every shift. And it delivers a better bottom line to the most important mine in the world: yours.
Weights - Approximate
- Nominal Rated Payload
- 400ton (US)
- Rated Gross Machine Weight
- Chassis Weight
- Body Weight
- Note (1)
- Consult your tire manufacturer for maximum tire load
- Note (2)
- Chassis weight with full fuel and fluids, standard & mandatory attachments, hoist, body mounting group, rims, and tires.
- Note (4)
- Tier 4 Chassis Weight: 486263 lb (220565 kg)
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- Engine Model
- Cat® C175-20
- Rated Speed
- U.S. EPA Compliant. Where applicable, the Cat C175-20 engine is compliant with U.S. EPA emission standards.Tier 4 engine option available to meet Tier 4 Final emission standards.
- Note (1)
- Net Power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with air intake system, exhaust system, and alternator.
- Note (2)
- U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final available for applicable markets.
- Note (3)
- High Altitude Low Maintenance Ratio Engine Configuration (4x4) option available.
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 1000gal (US)
- Fuel Tank (Tier 4)
- 1200gal (US)
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank
- 100gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 306gal (US)
- 103gal (US)
- Front Wheels - Each
- 16gal (US)
- 330gal (US)
- Steering Tank
- 67gal (US)
- Steering System - Including Tank
- 95gal (US)
- Brake/Hoist Tank
- 203gal (US)
- Brake Hoist System - Includes Tank
- 489gal (US)
- Torque Converter Sump
- 80gal (US)
- Torque Converter/Transmission System - Including Sump
- 166gal (US)
- Note (1)
- DEF Tank only available for EPA Tier 4 engine option.
- Twin, two-stage hydraulic cylinders with snubbing valve.
- Pump Flow - High Idle
- Relief Valve Setting - Raise
- Body Raise Time - High Idle
- Body Lower Time - Float
- Body Power Down- High Idle
- Self-contained nitrogen/oil cylinders, rear strut pin-to-pin mounting, top & bottom double shear clevis attachments
- Effective Cylinder Stroke - Front
- Effective Cylinder Stroke - Rear
- Rear axle - Oscillation
- ±3.96 degrees
Weight Distributions - Approximate
- Front Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Rear Axle - Loaded
- Weight distributions optimized with Cat body.
- 59/80 R63
- 44" x 63"
- Quick Change Rims optional.
- Note (1)
- Caterpillar recommends the customer evaluate all job conditions and consult tire manufacturer for proper tire selection and TKPH (TMPH) capabilities.
- Double reduction, planetary with full floating axles.
- Differential Ratio
- Planetary Ratio
- Total Reduction Ratio
- Double reduction, planetary with full floating axles.
- Service Brakes
- Service Brakes: Four-Corner, Wet Disc, Oil Cooled, Hydraulically Actuated
- Front Wet Disc Brake Surface Area
- Rear - Wet Disc Brake Surface Area
- Service and Secondary: ISO 3450:2011
- Parking Brake
- Four-corner, Multi-disc, Spring Applied, Hydraulically Released
- Load Brake
- Rear service brakes
- Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) optional with CMD package
Capacity - HP Body - 100% Fill Factor
- 225 yd³ / 172 m³
- Heaped (SAE 2:1)*
- 330 yd³ / 252 m³
- Note (1)
- Consult your local Cat dealer for body recommendations.
- Air Conditioning
- HFC - 134A refrigerant: 24,300 Btu/h
- Heater / Defroster
- Ambient capabilities down to -30C (-22F) for heater/defroster and up to 50C (122F) for air conditioning.
- ROPS Standards (1)
- The operator sound pressure level, 76 dB(A), complies with ISO 6394:2008 and ISO 6396:2008.
- ROPS Standards (2)
- ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) meets ISO 3471:1994 criteria.
- FOPS Standards
- FOPS (Falling Objects Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449:2005 Level II criteria.
- Steering Angle
- Turning Diameter - Front
- Steering Standards
- ISO 5010:2007
- Turning Diameter (ISO 7457:2009)
- Forward - 1
- Forward - 2
- Forward - 3
- Forward - 4
- Forward - 5
- Forward - 6
- Forward - 7
- Top Speed - Loaded
- Front Canopy Height - Empty
- Loaded Ground Clearance
- Height - Top of ROPS - Empty
- Engine Guard Clearance - Loaded
- Inside Body Depth - Maximum
- Loading Height - Empty
- Overall Height - Body Raised
- Rear Axle - Clearance - Loaded
- Overall Body Length
- Inside Body Length
- Overall Length
- Wheel Base
- Rear Axle - Tail
- Dump Clearance
- Centerline Front Tire Width
- Overall Canopy Width
- Outside Body Width
- Inside Body Width
- Centerline of Rear Dual Tire Width
- Overall Tire Width
- Wide walkways, ladders, catwalks and service platforms; slip-resistant surfaces and guard rails; wide secondary egress ladder and a rear service access ladder; and optional powered access ladder.
- Integral ROPS structure resiliently mounted to the main frame to reduce vibration and sound.
- Lockout/tagout box mounted on the front bumper that includes engine shutdown switch, battery lockout, starter lockout and transmission lockout.
- Standard Cat MineStar™ Detect Object Detection system, which combines radar and camera systems to warn operators about hazards within the immediate vicinity.
- Optional Driver Safety System alerts the operator if fatigue or distraction are detected.
- Cost per ton advantage over competitive models in higher altitudes, ranging from 6% to as high as 14%, plus HP Body option reduces weight an additional 2.0-5.0 tonnes (2.2-5.5 tons).
- Optimal speed on steep grades, poor underfoot conditions and haul roads with high rolling resistance for faster cycle times when compared to competitive trucks; travels loaded at a top speed of 60 km/h (42 mph).
- Unequaled lugging force during acceleration thanks to 23% net torque rise.
- Constant power over a wide range of operating speeds thanks to Cat seven-speed planetary power shift transmission.
- Low-speed movement control and unsurpassed stall torque delivered by lock-up torque converter.
- Multiple power settings that allow you to operate at full power or in economy mode, so you can decide how much power you need.
- Modes that fine-tune hydraulic and engine output to match the job at hand; Eco-mode shown to deliver fuel savings of up to 3.5% per cycle.
- Optimized fuel calibrations available for Tier 4, high altitude and lesser regulated applications.
- Engine ECM that does not inject fuel into the cylinders during retarding applications, for exceptional fuel economy — zero fuel burn during retarding.
- Increased fuel efficiency with Tier 4 configuration.
- Proven high production in the most challenging conditions—from extreme cold and soft underfoot conditions to high-altitude, deep copper applications.
- 20-cylinder, quad-turbocharged Cat C175 engine produces 2983 kW (4,000 hp) of power for fast acceleration; 2647-kW (3,550-hp) setting for applications that don’t require the highest power, such as the flat hauls found in many coal and iron ore applications.
- Excels at high altitudes, with 4x4 engine configuration that offers payload and greater speeds with no impact on fuel burn.
OPERATOR COMFORT & CONTROL
- Two options to equip 797F with the desired features for your operation.
- Ergonomic layout, excellent all-around visibility, and controls, levers and switches that are positioned for ease of use.
- Includes dozens of features designed to enhance comfort, such as reduced vibration and sound suppression.
- Next generation seat includes a height adjuster; adjustable shoulder stock to keep seatbelt from rubbing on the operator’s neck; and seat back, side and lumbar bolsters to increase stability.
- Four-corner oil-cooled brakes and Automatic Retarding Control to improve handling and machine control so operators can work quickly and confidently.
- Time-saving features such as long service intervals; grouped ground-level maintenance and checkpoints; oil level sight gauges and front wheel sight glass; and service platforms on the engine and transmission.
- Increased life for the majority of filters —in many cases doubling lives to 2,000 hours and extending replacement intervals to four months.
- Optional 100% airless electric start option that eliminates air system maintenance from the machine and improves uptime.
- Electronic Clutch Pressure Controls (ECPC) diagnostics
- Optional fast-fill service center and brake wear indicators.
DURABILITY AND LONG LIFE
- Only truck in its size class to achieve high-hour milestones of 130,000 or more hours.
- Greater than 5% tire life improvement, significant engine life increase, plus major drive train component life improvement.
- Over 80% of frame is cast, not fabricated steel plate.
- Box-section design, which incorporates two forgings and 14 castings in high-stress areas with deep penetrating and continuous wrap-around welds to resist damage from twisting loads without adding extra weight.
- Frame, powertrain, engine and components that are built to be rebuilt — delivering multiple lives of like-new performance at a fraction-of-new price.
- Bodies designed to be an integral part of the entire vehicle system, ensuring maximum chassis life.
- High Performance (HP) body features lightweight, simplified and durable design that provides complete front machine coverage and extended overhead protection.
- Oil sands body specifically designed for use in challenging Canadian Oil Sands applications.
- HP-XL body, a version of the standard HP body with an extended length floor, designed to neutralize extreme forward bias loading applications.
- Designed to use less fuel, which reduces engine emissions, and there is zero fuel burn during retarding; optional Tier 4 Final engine reduces NOx and particulate matter.
- Less waste thanks to features like rear axle filtration, extended life filters and longer maintenance intervals.
- Cat Common Rail Fuel System, which provides optimal fuel delivery, reducing both fuel consumption and emissions output.
- Engine compatible with diesel fuel blended with lower-carbon intensity fuels such as biofuels and renewable fuels.
- Cat Rebuild and Cat Reman programs, which preserve raw materials, conserve energy and reduce emissions.
- Factory-ready for fully integrated Cat MineStar™ Command for hauling, an autonomous hauling solution proven to increase productivity up to 30%.
- Optional MineStar Fleet, a fleet monitoring system, to measure, manage and maximize the overall hauling operation.
- Standard MineStar Detect proximity detection system, which uses cameras to give operators a better view of what's happening around their equipment.
- Optional in-cab Cat Driver Safety System (DSS) intervenes when operator fatigue or distraction are detected.
- Optional Equipment
- Cat Detect System
- Cabin air precleaner
- Throttle lock
- Engine delay shutdown timer
- Antifreeze/coolant protects to –50° C (–58° F)
- Fuel tank (7570 L/2,000 gal)
- SL-V grease injectors
- Body heat
- Rear axle lubrication cooler
- External digital payload display
- Oil renewal system
- Oil renewal system with 3 day tank
- Engine coolant and oil heater for cold weather starts
- Road Analysis Control (RAC)
- Portable fire extinguisher
- Torque converter guard
- Brake wear indicator gauge
- Rims (wedge)
- Rim guard