796 AC Electric Drive Mining Truck
architecture and high strength structures, the 796 AC delivers a nominal target payload of up to 327 tonnes (360 tones) regardless of attachments. Add in a proven drive system with industry-leading serviceability, and the 796 AC mining truck delivers a hauling solution you can depend on — resulting in high reliability, high availability, and low lifecycle costs.
Weights - Approximate
- Nominal Rated Payload
- 360ton (US)
- Rated Gross Machine Weight
- Chassis Weight
- Body Weight Range
- 38 833 – 42 907 kg (85,611 – 94,594 lb)
- Note (1)
- Consult your tire manufacturer for maximum tire load.
- Note (2)
- Chassis weight with full fuel and fluids, standard & mandatory attachments, hoist, body mounting group, rims, and tires.
- Note (3)
- Refer to Cat Mining Truck 10/10/20 Overload Policy (AEXQ0250) for maximum gross machine weight limitations
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Engine Model
- Cat® C175-16
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- Rated Speed
- Emissions Rating
- Fuel Optimized
- Note (1)
- Net Power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with air intake system, exhaust system, and alternator.
- Note (2)
- U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final / EU Stage V available for applicable markets.
- Note (3)
- Additional fuel optimized selectable power ratings: 2312 kW / 3,100 hp
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 1300gal (US)
- Fuel Tank (Tier 4)
- 1200gal (US)
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank
- 100gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 211gal (US)
- 82gal (US)
- Front Wheels - Each
- 7gal (US)
- Final Drive - Each
- 67gal (US)
- Hydraulic Tank
- 296gal (US)
- Hydraulic System - Including Tank
- 385gal (US)
- Grease Tank
- Note (1)
- DEF Tank only available for U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final / EU Stage V engine option
- Steer Angle
- Turning Diameter - Front
- Steering Standards
- Steering Standards: ISO 5010:2007
- Turning Diameter (ISO 7457:1997)
AC Drive System
- Total Reduction Ratio
- Top Speed - Loaded
- Cat brushless, engine mounted, dual bearing
- Cat IGBT Inverter Technology, air cooled, pressurized cabinet with filtration
- Wheel Motor
- Cat AC induction, rear axle mounted
- Cooling System
- Cat variable speed, hydraulically driven cooling system
- Service Brakes
- Four-Corner, Wet Disc, Oil Cooled, Hydraulically Actuated
- Front Wet Disc Brake Surface Area
- Rear - Wet Disc Brake Surface Area
- Service and Secondary: ISO 3450:2011
- Parking Brake
- Four-corner, Multi-disc, Spring Applied, Hydraulically Released
- Load Brake
- Rear service brakes
- Dynamic Retarding Power - Continuous
- Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) optional with CMD package
Weight Distributions - Approximate
- Front Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Rear Axle - Loaded
- Weight distributions optimized with Cat body.
- Standard Tires
- 59/80 R63
- 44" x 63"
- Note (1)
- Quick Change Rims optional.
- Note (2)
- Caterpillar recommends the customer evaluate all job conditions and consult tire manufacturer for proper tire selection and TKPH (TMPH) capabilities.
Capacity - HE Body - 100% fill factor
- 97-153 m³ (127-200 yd³)
- Heaped (SAE 2:1)
- 186-237 m³ (243-310 yd³)
- Consult your local Cat dealer for body recommendations.
- Twin, two-stage hydraulic cylinders with snubbing valve.
- Pump Flow - High Idle
- Relief Valve Setting - Raise
- Body Raise Time - High Idle
- Body Lower Time - Float
- Body Power Down- High Idle
- Note (1)
- Twin, two-stage hydraulic cylinders mounted outside main frame; double-acting cylinders in both stages.
- Note (2)
- Power raise in both stages; power down capability in both stages.
- Note (3)
- Automatic body-lower modulation reduces impact on frame.
- Self-contained nitrogen/oil cylinders, pin-to-pin mounting, top & bottom double shear clevis attachments
- Effective Cylinder Stroke - Front
- Effective Cylinder Stroke - Rear
- Rear axle - Oscillation
- +/- 5.32 degrees
- Air Conditioning
- HFC - 134A refrigerant: 21,600 Btu/h
- Heater / Defroster
- Ambient capabilities down to -15C (5F) for heater/defroster and up to 50C (122F) for air conditioning.
- ROPS Standards (1)
- The operator sound pressure level, 75 dB(A), measured according to ISO 6394:2008 and ISO 6396:2008.
- ROPS Standards (2)
- ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) meets ISO 3471:2008 for Operator and ISO 13459:2012 for Trainer.
- FOPS Standards
- FOPS (Falling Objects Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449:2005 Level II for Operator and ISO 13459:2012 Level II for Trainer.
- Height - Top of ROPS
- Overall Length
- Wheel Base
- Rear Axle - Tail
- Ground Clearance
- Dump Clearance
- Loading Height - Empty
- Overall Height - Body Raised
- Centerline Front Tire Width
- Front Axle Clearance
- Canopy Width (without optional rock deflectors)
- Outside Body Width
- Inside Body Width
- Front Canopy Height
- Rear Axle - Clearance
- Centerline of Rear Dual Tire Width
- Overall Tire Width
Wide access stairways, service platforms for the engine, traction alternator and control cabinet, four corner wet disc brakes, and industry leading retarding.
Radial retard grid for improved right-hand view — make the lines darker so you can see where they are pointing.
— Wide field of view for greater visibility.
— Integrated ROPS and FOPS Traction control
— Reverse shift inhibitor
— Door sensor warning for park brake application
— Optional powered access stair attachment
- PROVEN IN THE FIELD
— Frame design: 18M+ hours
— C175 engine: 22M+ hours
— Field validation: 60,000+ hours
— Electric-drive system: 7M+ hours
- HAULS MORE, HAULS FASTER
— Efficient design delivers higher payload
— Optimized drive system integration puts more power to the ground
- SUPERIOR CONTROLLABILITY
Boosts operator confidence:
— Strong dynamic retarding
— Robust design empowers operator to use oil-cooled brakes regardless of speed or payload
- BUMPER-TO-BUMPER CATERPILLAR
The individual components, software, systems and engine that go inside a Cat truck have different purposes, but they have one very important thing in common: They are all manufactured by Caterpillar and supported by the Cat dealer network.
This integration ensures that the entire truck — from body to bumper, engine to electronics — can be fully optimized to deliver the lowest cost per ton.
- ONLY SINGLE-SOURCE ELECTRIC DRIVE TRUCK IN ITS SIZE CLASS
The Cat engine, AC drive system, hydraulics and controls have been integrated to make the 796 easy to operate, providing excellent slow speed control within the service areas and superior throttle response on acceleration to move out of the loading or dump areas. Integration of the engine and powertrain delivers low operating costs through electronically combined powertrain components.
— 100% designed, validated and built by Caterpillar
— Full support of Cat dealer and parts network
- YOUR PARTNER FOR THE COMPLETE EQUIPMENT LIFECYCLE
No one knows more about how to get the most from a piece of Cat equipment than your local Cat dealer. This one-of-a-kind, on-the-ground support network delivers expert service, integrated solutions, after-sales support, fast and efficient parts fulfilment, world-class rebuild and remanufacturing capabilities, and more.
Cat dealers operate as nearly 200 local businesses — each one fully embedded in and committed to the geographic area it serves. That means you work with people you know, who know your business, and who respond on your timeframe.
- MINING — FOR A — BETTER WORLD
Governments and regulatory agencies mandate that you establish and follow environmentally sound policies and practices as you meet the demand for mined materials. We're focused on doing our part to make sure our trucks help you meet those regulations.
- REDUCING EMISSIONS
We’ve designed the 796 AC to use less fuel, which reduces engine emissions and carbon footprint. The optional U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final / EU Stage V engine goes even further, reducing NOx by 62% and particulates by 93% — when compared to Tier 1 emissions.
In addition, a centrifugal oil filter and self-cleaning filter are standard on all engines, extending oil change intervals and reducing oil usage.
We also continue to research alternative energy sources such as biofuels and liquefied natural gas (LNG), and power options like electrification and trolley to find new ways to reduce emissions. In addition, we preserve raw materials, conserve energy and reduce emissions through the Cat Reman program, which returns end-of-life components to like-newcondition.
The Cat AC drive is a high voltage system (2,600 volts) that operates at lower current than most competitive trucks. When combined with Cat's total integration and design of the truck and drive system, the result is higher efficiency, lower heat generation, smaller and lighter components, and longer component life.
—The Enhanced Engine Oil Filtration (EEOF) package, eliminates the need for an engine oil filter change and reduces oil usages.
- Engines with Advanced Technology
Engines with advanced technology contribute to better fuel economy and decreased emissions.
- BUILT TO BE REBUILT
Cat trucks are designed to last over 100,000 hours, and many are going well beyond that. The frame, powertrain, engine and components are built to be rebuilt — using new, remanufactured or rebuilt parts and components — so you can take advantage of multiple lives of like-new performance at a fraction-of-new price.
- MOVES MORE TONNES PER LITER
Fuel efficient, intelligent engine control strategies deliver higher payload while minimizing fuel costs.
- ENGINE OPTIONS
The 796 AC is powered by the C175-16 engine, which is available with two horsepower options and can be configured for U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final / EU Stage V regulations. The 796 AC is also available with a high-altitude arrangement — a 4x4 engine configuration that prevents deration at altitude and offers simplified maintenance and repair. More than 4,500 C175 engines are in operation around the world, with over 21 million hours of run time.
— Robust design delivers long life and the option to rebuild.
— Designed for easy serviceability with readily accessible components, the modular aftertreatment system reduces overall fluid and fuel consumption and is aligned with truck preventive maintenance intervals to maintain high availability.
— Lower fuel burn results in longer engine life and lower repair costs.
- MORE POWER, LOWER COSTS
— High displacement, low rpm rating and conservative horsepower ratings, which mean more time on the haul road and less time in the shop.
— The Cat Common Rail Fuel System, which provides optimal fuel delivery to reduce both fuel consumption and emissions output.
— Enhanced serviceability, with inlet manifolds and turbochargers that are located outside of the engine's V, giving the service technicians more space to work on top of the engine and within the engine bay.
— The Enhanced Engine Oil Filtration (EEOF) package eliminates the need for an engine oil filter change and reduces oil usages.
- Cat® MineStar™ Solutions
Whether you want to address a single challenge or make step changes in the overall safety, efficiency and productivity of your surface operation, Cat® MineStar™ has a solution for you. MineStar is the mining industry's most comprehensive and thoroughly integrated suite of technology offerings.
Cat Fleet helps you identify opportunities to improve truck efficiency in ways that reduce costs, boost productivity and add real value to your bottom line.
— Eliminate Queuing
— Optimize Shift Changes
— Reduce Fuel Stops
- COMMAND FOR HAULING
This autonomous hauling solution helps improve productivity, efficiency and profitability while reducing overall costs.
What if your trucks could respond to calls to the shovel, move into position, haul to dump points and even report for maintenance — all without an operator on board? That's what Cat Command for hauling enables.
But this autonomous Cat MineStar solution is more than just an operator-free system. It takes advantage of the most sophisticated technologies available to deliver a next-generation haulage solution — one that boosts safety, productivity and availability on busy mine sites, especially those in difficult or remote locations. With autonomous hauling, the future is here — and we're there to help you bring it to your operation.
With the MineStar Detect proximity detection system, you can equip your 796 with cameras to give your operators a better view of what's happening around their equipment — or combine cameras and radar into a true object detection system that automatically alerts operators to hazards.
You can even add satellite capabilities to provide proximity warnings and avoidance zones, seat-belt monitoring that encourages operators to buckle up, and in-cab systems that intervene when they detect fatigue or distraction.
Truck Body Systems
- GET THE RIGHT BODY FOR THE JOB
When it comes to truck bodies, one size does not fit all. And when it comes to your Cat truck, Cat bodies are the best choice. We follow a dynamic approach to engineering — treating the body as part of a system rather than a static structure. Cat bodies are designed to be an integral part of the entire vehicle system, ensuring you achieve maximum chassis life.
— They're sized to meet payload requirements without compromise to vehicle balance, braking or control.
— From the design to the materials, manufacturing to shipping, the entire process meets Cat standards of quality and control.
— The Caterpillar 10/10/20 payload guidelines help achieve a balance of excellent payload with safe operation.
- Integrated Body and Chassis Design
Integral to the truck the body is designed to fit with the chassis and work as part of the truck system. Each body is sized to meet the payload requirements without compromise to vehicle balance, braking or control.
- High Efficiency (HE) Body
The body is sized and configured to meet the specific needs dictated by fragmentation, abrasion, cohesion, and the loading tool to maximize the payload capability of the truck.
- Curved floor, front, and canopy strengthens entire body as a structure.
- Strength of base plates allows minimal wear package and low operating weight.
- Joint isolation system reinforces welded areas and exploits high strength main plates.
- Runners transfer weight to the truck frame.
- SUPERIOR SERVICEABILITY
— Engine walkways
— Service platforms
— Modular components
— Ground-level, grouped service points
- EASIER MAINTENANCE, LESS OFTEN
— First overhaul life of 25,000 hours drives lower cost of ownership
— Separate drive motors and final drives enables service on individual components
— Engine and generator can be removed or installed separately, and dual-bearing generator design eliminates shimming
— Sealed and pressurized inverter cabinet requires no cleaning, which eliminates hundreds of hours of maintenance
— Long life radial grid with serviceable elements and AC motor control
- Power Train
- Cat® C175-16 Diesel Engine: 2312 kW (3,100 hp) power setting (Fuel optimized / U.S. EPA Tier 2 equiv. engines only)
- Cat® C175-16 Diesel Engine: 2050 kW (2,750 hp) power setting (Fuel optimized & U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final / EU Stage V engines)
- Body heat exhaust
- Operation And Controls
- Throttle lock
- Timer, engine shutdown
- Heated mirrors (Left and Right)
- Powered access ladder, left hand ground access
- Language monitors: English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Estonian, Latin, Lithuanian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Greek, Romanian, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Icelandic, Finnish, Danish, Thai, Indonesian, Vietnam, Malaysian, Chinese
- Lighting, signals/service:
– Fog lights, LED
– Work lights, LED
– Side profile lights, LED
– Dump body marker/stop lights, LED
- Retarding indicator light, multi-color, cab exterior
- Lighting, signals/service:
- Additional Features And Equipment
- Fueling: 300 GPM Fast fill fuel system (Left and Right)
- Portable fire extinguisher
- Front bumper single-point center tow
- Wheel chocks (ANSI and ISO)
- 44 x 63 rims, quick change (2 quick change, 4 standard)
– Inverter platform (rear access)
– Service Center, fast-fill
- Cat® Technology Products
- Cat® MineStar™ Detect (Camera Only) System
- Cat® Product Link™ Elite (Satellite)
- Cat® MineStar™ Health
- Cat® MineStar™ Fleet
- Cat® MineStar™ Terrain
- Cat® MineStar™ Command-Ready
- Cat® MineStar™ Command
- Cat® Trolley Assist Attachment
- Dump Body
- HE rock box liner
- HE canopy rock deflectors
- HE rear tire rock deflectors
- HE impact liner
- Antifreeze/coolant protects to –50° C (–58° F)