730 Articulated Truck
The Cat 730 with a 17.5 m³ (23 yd³)/28 tonnes (31 tons) capacity, offers demonstrated reliability and durability, high performance and productivity and a new world-class cab to improve operator comfort and ease of operation.<br>Updating the successful 730C2 to include the new cab design makes the 730 a more attractive proposition for our customers. Class leading levels of performance and new features such as Advanced Automatic Traction Control (AATC) and Assisted Hoisting Control create operator comfort, making a productive machine all day long while retaining all axle enclosed wet brakes and Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS).
- Engine Model
- Cat® C13
- Peak Engine Torque Net (SAE J1349)
- Peak Engine Torque Speed
- No Engine De-rating Below
- Net Power - ISO 14396
- Engine Model - U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage V
- Cat C13
- Peak Engine Torque Gross (SAE J1995)
- Note (3)
- The net power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with alternator, air cleaner, muffler and fan at minimum speed.
- The 730 meets Tier 4 Final and Stage V emission standards.
- Note (2)
- The power ratings apply at rated speed of 1,800 rpm when tested under the conditions for the specified standard.
- Note (1)
- The references to Tier 4 Final/Stage V include U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final, EU Stage V, Japan 2014 (Tier 4 Final), and Korea Tier 4 Final emission standards.
- Note (4)
- Net power when the fan is at maximum speed is 254 kW (341 hp) per the SAE reference conditions.
- Note (5)
- DEF used in Cat SCR systems must meet the requirements outlined in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard 22241-1. ISO 22241-1 requirements are met by many brands of DEF, including those that carry the AdBlue or API certificatio
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Rated Payload
- 31ton (US)
- Heaped (SAE 2:1)
- Tailgate Heaped SAE 2:1
- Tailgate Struck
- Forward - 1
- Forward - 2
- Forward - 3
- Forward - 4
- Forward - 5
- Forward - 6
- Reverse - 1
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 108.8gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 21.9gal (US)
- Hydraulic System
- 29.1gal (US)
- Engine Crankcase
- 10gal (US)
- 12.4gal (US)
- Final Drives/Differential
- 33gal (US)
- Output Transfer Gear Box
- 6.3gal (US)
- DEF Tank
- 5.3gal (US)
- Interior Cab
- Note (1)
- The operator sound exposure Leq (equivalent sound pressure level) measured according to the work cycle procedures specified in ANSI/SAE J1166 OCT98 is 72 dB(A), for the cab offered by Caterpillar, when properly installed and maintained and tested with the
- Note (2)
- Hearing protection may be needed when operating with an open operator station and cab (when not properly maintained or doors/windows open) for extended periods or in noisy environments.
- Raise Time
- Lower Time
- ISO 3450 – 2011
- Cab - FOPS
- ISO 3449 Level II – 2005
- Cab - ROPS
- ISO 3471 – 2008
- ISO 5010 – 2007
- Front Axle - Empty
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Center Axle - Rated Load
- Rear Axle - Loaded
- Center Axle - Loaded
- Total - Rated Load
- Front Axle - Rated Load
- Total - Loaded
- Center Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Total - Empty
- Rear Axle - Rated Load
- Lock to Lock
- 4.75 seconds @ 60 rpm
- High strength Brinell HB450 wear resistant steel
- Turning Dimensions - Aisle Width
- Turning Dimensions - Steer Angle - Left/Right
- Turning Dimensions - Inside Radius
- Turning Dimensions - SAE Turning Radius
- Dimensions are for machines equipped with 23.5R25 tires.
- Turning Dimensions - Clearance Radius
Body Plate Thickness
- Base Plate
- Side Plates
- Front Plate
Optimal Loader/Truck Pass Matching
- Wheel Loaders: 966M/966M XE - Passes
- Wheel Loader: 962M - Passes
- Wheel Loader: 950M - Passes
- Hydraulic Excavators: 336F/336F XE - Passes
- Hydraulic Excavators: 349F/349F XE - Passes
- An optimum system match gives you a major productivity advantage. The 730 is an excellent match for the Cat 349F and 336F Hydraulic Excavators; and Cat 972M, 966M, 962M and 950M Wheel Loaders. Having matched loading and hauling tools results in increased
- Wheel Loaders: 972M/972M XE - Passes
- Every Tier 4 Final/Stage IV and EU Stage V Cat engine is equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment components.
- Maximized uptime and reduced cost with world-class support from the Cat dealer network.
- Minimized impact of emission systems: designed to be transparent to the operator without requiring interaction.
- Delivering better fuel economy with minimized maintenance costs while providing the same great power and response.
- Advanced MEUI-C injector platforms deliver increased injection pressures and more precise fuel rates. These durable injectors enhance responsiveness while controlling soot.
- All Cat engines feature innovative air-management systems that optimize airflow and enhance power, efficiency and reliability.
- The Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS) captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it back into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
- Cat engines equipped with a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system inject Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) into the exhaust to reduce NOx emissions. DEF is a precisely mixed solution of 32.5 percent high purity chemical grade urea and 67.5 percent de-ionized water.
INDUSTRIAL GRADE TRANSMISSION
- The Cat CX31 six-speed forward, single-speed reverse transmission features Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) and Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC) which deliver smooth gear changes with improved acceleration and higher productivity.
- Speed hold/limiting function allows the machine speed to be limited in 1 km/h or 1 mph steps to conform to site speed restrictions.
- Gearshifts have been significantly improved to maintain direct drive lock-up, and eliminate dropping into converter drive. Reducing the use of torque converter drive helps maintain ground speed and gradeability.
- Variable shift points used based on the operating conditions, which also aid in maintaining ground speed during gear changes on grades.
- Critical gearshifts maintain direct drive lock-up, and eliminate dropping into converter drive. This maintains ground speed during shifts on grades.
- The transmission automatically modifies shift points to best suit operating conditions and performance.
- Retarding levels are automatically reduced on lesser grades in lower gears.
- Large capacity torque converter, configured for off-highway applications, allows the higher engine power to be transmitted more efficiently to the lower power train.
- The engine compression brake improves retarding response and increases retarding power.
- Advanced automatic traction control (AATC) is a proactive application of the inter- and cross-axle differential locks is ‘on-the-go’ and fully automatic. The operator does not have to think about when and where to engage either diff lock. Sensors monitor the machine and wheel speeds, enabling instant response in high rolling resistance conditions. Operation is seamless and smooth, eliminating wheel slip for maximum traction and therefore productivity.
- AATC reduces tire and driveline abuse, eliminating lost machine efficiencies caused by improper manual operation of the differential clutches and reducing the cost of premature tire replacement.
- Automatic retarder control (ARC) makes use of the retarder easier for the operator to use. As with AATC, a number of machine operating aspects are monitored. If required, the engine compression brake is engaged automatically to control machine speed when descending a grade. The system can help towards eliminating engine overspeed, improving safe machine operation and reducing cycle times, yet still having the flexibility of manual control if needed.
- With the assisted dumping system, tipping of the dump body can be done automatically with the new Assisted Hoisting Control. Flick the new body raise/lower switch and the machine will apply the service brakes, switch the transmission to neutral and raise the body at the required engine rpm. Lowering the dump body is done the same way, flick the switch and the machine will lower the body and place it in float. Two flicks, one up, one down.
- Hill Assist reduces potential ‘roll-back’ on grades. If an operator stops the machine on a grade, when taking his foot off the service brake pedal, the machine will automatically hold the service brakes to prevent machine rolling backwards.
- Waiting brake applies the service brakes when neutral gear is selected, allowing quick and easy control of the machine at the load or dump area.
- The new cab is designed to make all aspects of machine operation as simple as possible for every operator. The controls and gauges are easy to read and straightforward to use, allowing the operator to focus on safe machine operation while maintaining productivity.
- Unique to Cat articulated trucks, the combined hoist/transmission lever provides easy, intuitive control of gears and hoist functions. The new assisted hoist system gives improved control to the operator, allowing for faster cycle times and less control movements.
- Offering both automatic and manual options, the system gives operators flexibility to choose their preferred method of control. When using the automatic system to tip a load, the machine neutralizes the transmission, applies the service brakes and hoists the body to maximum angle at the required engine rpm. When lowering the body this feature prevents a hard stop onto the frame, eliminating shock loads and potential damage. Automatic use can reduce operator interactions by up to 50 percent, compared to the previous model, depending on the site tipping procedure.
- Also incorporated into the lever are waiting brake, transmission hold, machine speed limiter and parking brake selection. This gives operating a more automotive feel. No separate switch is now needed; you just push the lever into park.
- The newly styled and updated dash puts all controls within easy reach of the operator. It features LED illuminated rocker switches for easy use in all operating conditions. The fit and finish delivers an automotive feel with the industrial strength you would expect from Caterpillar.
- The updated touchscreen dash mounted display allows the operator to monitor and adjust various levels of machine performance and conditions, as well as machine warning categories. These include configuration settings, operator and machine totals, service information, various machine status parameters, machine payload information (when fitted), stability assist, and the video feed from the rearview camera.
- Make and receive hands free calls via the optional Bluetooth equipped stereo with clearer quality due to the quieter cab and upgraded speakers.
WORK IN COMFORT
- The large open cab offers a comfortable working space for both the operator and an additional person (e.g. training purposes). The second seat is fully padded with a backrest and a wide, retractable seat belt for a secure and comfortable ride. Positioned adjacent to the operator, the seat gives the trainer a clear view of the instrument panel, controls and the road ahead.
- A new large side storage box is heated or cooled by the HVAC system depending on operator preference. Twin cup holders and multiple storage spaces have also been introduced to help give operators an uncluttered workspace.
- The new air suspension seat gives an increased range of adjustments over previous offerings including fore/aft isolation, which dramatically reduces horizontal vibrations and jolts. This provides a greater number of operators with the ability to tailor their seating position for a more comfortable working day.
- The improved automatic climate control system gives you the option to maintain the temperature desired by the operator. A reduction to in-cab noise 72 dB (–4 dB from previous model) contributes to a more comfortable working environment for the operator, all day, every day.
BUILT TO PERFORM
- All three axles have oscillating A-frames with lateral tie rods, controlling sideways movement of the axle and providing stability. In conjunction with suspension system, it allows the operator to travel at speed over rough terrain and softens impact loads on structures and components.
- The front suspension has large bore, low-pressure cylinders are purpose designed for off-road applications and offer a soft, smooth ride for the operator. The front suspension oscillates ±6° to assist in providing a smooth ride. Suspension mounting points are integrated into the axle housing, increasing reliability.
- The rear suspension is comprised of a walking beam and Caterpillar designed long life rear suspension mounts; the rear suspension system provides a reliable and stable ride for excellent travel over rough terrain and aids load retention.
- Introduced for the first time on this model, the oil-immersed wet brake system is a multi-disc, multi-plate design. Enclosing the brakes prevents the ingress of contaminants. This protects the system, extends life, and reduces replacement costs while improving machine uptime.
HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION
- The front frame design features a large box section and wide, stiff frame beams to handle torque loads. The divergent frame design decreases stress in the hitch area and optimizes suspension geometry. The frame design makes maximum use of robotic welding for increased durability.
- The rear frame twin-box construction minimizes stress concentrations and provides low weight with long service life.
- The three-point oscillating axle front suspension provides excellent ride quality. It also protects the truck from adverse road conditions by absorbing shock loads that would reach the frame.
- The articulating hitch provides the truck with steering articulation, and the oscillation helps provide all-wheel ground contact in rough terrain.
- All machines have a large target area dump body design to provide consistently high load carrying capacity. The diverging flow design gives clean material discharge, which maximizes production and avoids the waste of carry-back.
- The output transfer gear (OTG) distributes drive to the tractor and trailer and includes a wet clutch differential lock for optimum traction in poor underfoot conditions.
- Dual-circuit, all wheel braking system. The full power hydraulic system actuates enclosed, oil immersed, multi-disc, multi-plate brakes with independent front and rear circuits and accumulators.
TECHNOLOGY THAT GETS WORK DONE
- Cat Product Link wirelessly connect you to your equipment, giving you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performing. The system tracks location, hours, fuel usage, productivity, idle time, and diagnostic codes through the online VisionLink user interface so you can make timely, fact-based decisions to maximize efficiency, improve productivity, and lower costs.
- Cat Production Measurement brings payload weighing to the cab to help optimize job site efficiency and productivity. Operators can view real-time load weights on the integrated display and know precisely when target is achieved, while cab-mounted external payload lights on all four corners signal the loader operator when to stop, reducing the risk of machine overloading. Operators can track daily productivity from the cab, with quick access to truck payload weights, loads and cycle counts, and daily totals; or remotely via LINK technologies.
- Cat Detect with Stability Assist warns the operator if machine is approaching a pre-set angle during operation; when driving and tipping. If using the assisted hoist, the machine will stop hoisting the body and give an audible and visual warning. The system monitors angles of tractor, trailer and grade independently. This increases operator awareness of machine stability during operation. All tractor and/or trailer rollover events are logged and reported via VisionLink.
- The Cat® C13 engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final, EU Stage V, Korea Stage V, and Japan 2014 emission standards.
- Cat diesel engines are required to use ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel with 15 ppm of sulfur or less) or ULSD blended with the following lower-carbon intensity fuels up to: 20% biodiesel FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) * or 100% renewable diesel, HVO (hydrotreated vegetable oil) and GTL (gas-to-liquid) fuels. Refer to guidelines for successful application. Please consult your Cat dealer or “Caterpillar Machine Fluids Recommendations” (SEBU6250) for details.
- Extended maintenance intervals not only reduce downtime but decrease the amount of fluid and filters that are replaced over the life of the machine.
- VisionLink® displays the CO2 emissions for monitored assets, calculated by fuel type for the Runtime Fuel Burned each day in a selected date range.
- Don't waste fuel idling. Cat VisionLink® online fleet monitoring helps you manage idle time and reduce fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Cat® Stability Assist for Articulated Trucks helps improve machine safety and uptime by increasing awareness of machine stability during operation.
- Cat® Production Measurement provides real-time payload weighing which help you maximize productivity, reduce fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions, all while improving job site efficiency and lowering costs.
*Engines with no aftertreatment devices can use higher blends, up to 100% biodiesel (for use of blends higher than 20% biodiesel, consult your Cat dealer).
- Standard and optional equipment may vary. Consult your Cat dealer for details.
- Operator Environment
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Machine operation monitoring system includes:
– Action lamp
– Engine oil pressure
– Primary steering system
– Left and right turn signal
– High beam
– Coolant temperature
– Parking brake
– Fuel level
– Transmission oil temperature
– Brake system
– Transmission hold
– Hoist control
– Hydraulic system
– Charging system
– Transmission fault
– Traction control system
– Check engine lamp
- Combined gear selection and hoist control lever
- Glass windows:
– Front, laminated and tinted
– Sides and rear, toughened and tinted
- Secondary steering – electro hydraulic
- Heater and defroster with four-speed fan
- Retractable belt: Operator seat and second seat
- Windshield wiper and washer, two speed, intermittent (front)
- Mirrors: extensive arrangement for improved visibility
- Windshield wiper and washer, two speed (rear)
– Operator: fully adjustable, air suspension
– Trainer: padded with lap belt
- Adjustable air vents
- Windows opening both sides, tinted
- Liquid Crystal Display (LCD):
– Alert indicator
– Selected gear and direction
– Speed or auto shift
– Review Operation and Maintenance Manual (OMM)
– Primary steering failure warning
– Seat belt warning
– Secondary steering failure warning
– Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration filter
– Machine Security System (MSS) ready
– Secondary steering energy source engaged
– Hour meter
– Retarder active
- Sun visor
- Touchscreen display incorporating the rearview camera video feed
– Cup holder
– Flask receptacle
– Under seat storage
– Door pocket
– Behind operator seat storage
– Coat hook
- Air conditioning with R134A refrigerant
- Cat Technologies
- Cat Detect with Stability Assist
- Product Link
- Electrical And Lighting
- Electrical system: 24-volt, 10A 24- to 12-volt converter
- Main disconnect switch
- Batteries (two) maintenance free
- Remote starting receptacle (cables not included)
- Lighting systems:
– Cab interior
– Two head lamps
– Two width marker
– Two reversing
– Work light/cab access light
– Two stop/tail lights
– Front and rear direction indicators
- Power Train
- Differentials: standard with automatic clutched inter- and cross-axle differential locks
- Auto shift six-speed forward and one reverse transmission
- Dual circuit oil immersed, enclosed brakes – all wheels
- Retarder: engine compression brake
- Cat C13 engine
- Three axle, six-wheel drive
- Cat Clean Emission Module (CEM) and exhaust aftertreatment package
- Rearview camera
- ROPS/FOPS cab
- Reverse alarm
- Rear window
- Front dump body spill guard, integral part of fabricated body
- Other Standard Equipment
- Sound suppression (only standard in Europe)
- Tires, six 23.5R25, radial
- Vandalism protection: lockable caps
- Mud flaps: wheel arch and body mounted with transportation tiebacks
- S·O·S sampling valves
- Standard and optional equipment may vary. Consult your Cat dealer for details.
- Optional Equipment
- Window blinds
- Auto lube installation for automatic greasing of bearings
- Ether start
- Cold weather start attachment
- Four-point seat belt
- Machine Security System (MSS)
- Bare chassis (no body) standard wheel base
- Fuel additive – anti-waxing
- Sound suppression (only standard in Europe)
- Cold weather coolant –51° C (–60° F)
- Wheel chocks
- Flashing LED beacon
- Engine block heater
- Bluetooth radio stereo system
- Exhaust heated body
- Product Link Elite: PLE631 (satellite), PLE641 (cellular). Product Link is optional.
- Heated rearview motorized mirrors
- Body liners
- Bare chassis (no body) long wheel base
- Infrared glass – high ambient cab
- Heated/cooled seat
- Roof mounted High Intensity Discharge (HID) work lights
- Cat Production Measurement payload monitoring system
- Fast fuel fill
- Tires, six 750/65R25, radial
- Scissor tailgate