730C Articulated Truck
Strategy (APECS) delivers a smooth shifting transmission, improving acceleration with higher productivity.
- Engine Model
- Cat C13
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- No Engine De-rating Required Below
- Peak Engine Torque Net (ISO 14396)
- Engine Model - U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV
- Cat® C13 ACERT™
- Peak Engine Torque Gross (SAE J1995)
- Peak Engine Torque Speed
- Net Power - ISO 14396
- Rated Payload
- Heaped (SAE 2:1)
- Tailgate Heaped SAE 2:1
- Tailgate Struck
- Forward - 1
- Forward - 2
- Forward - 3
- Forward - 4
- Forward - 5
- Forward - 6
- Reverse - 1
- Front Axle - Empty
- Center Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Total - Empty
- Front Axle - Rated Load
- Center Axle - Rated Load
- Rear Axle - Rated Load
- Total - Rated Load
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Center Axle - Loaded
- Rear Axle - Loaded
- Total - Loaded
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 108.8gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 21.9gal (US)
- Hydraulic System
- 29.1gal (US)
- Engine Crankcase
- 10.5gal (US)
- 9.2gal (US)
- Final Drives/Differential
- 35.7gal (US)
- Output Transfer Gear Box
- 6.3gal (US)
- DEF Tank (ISO 2224-1)
- 5.3gal (US)
- Interior Cab
- Raise Time
- Lower Time
- ISO 3450 - 2011
- Cab - FOPS
- ISO 3449 Level II - 2005
- Cab - ROPS
- ISO 3471 - 2008
- ISO 5010 - 2007
- Lock to Lock
- 4.75 seconds @ 60 rpm
- High Strength Brinell HB450 Wear Resistant Steel
- Turning Dimensions - Steer Angle - Left/Right
- Turning Dimensions - SAE Turning Radius
- Turning Dimensions - Inside Radius
- Turning Dimensions - Aisle Width
- Turning Dimensions - Clearance Radius
- Dimensions are for machines equipped with 23.5R25 tires.
- Engine Technology
The Cat® C13 ACERT engine continues the evolutionary, incremental improvements that provide breakthrough engine technology built on systems and components developed by Caterpillar with proven reliability.
- Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM)
The Cat CEM is an exhaust aftertreatment package consisting of a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)catalyst, using a urea water solution (UWS), known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), and control systems. The CEM reduces both particulate and NOx emission using passive and active regeneration, dosing, burner and dosing/burner combinations during normal engine operation. All components are isolation mounted on a rigid supporting cradle for long service life in the most severe applications.
- Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS)
The Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS) captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
- Fuel Delivery
Mechanically actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI-C) multiple injection fuel delivery involves a high degree of precision. Precisely shaping the combustion cycle lowers combustion chamber temperatures, generating fewer emissions and optimizing fuel combustion. This translates into more work output for your fuel cost.
- Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration
Regeneration is the removal of soot from the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The Aftertreatment Regeneration Device (ARD) utilizes the Cat Regeneration System (CRS) to efficiently and automatically regenerate the DPF. The DPF traps both particulates and ash; the ash is removed at regular service intervals.
- Modes of Regeneration
When set to automatic, regeneration will occur without any interaction from the operator. The three modes of regeneration shown below allow the articulated truck to adapt to specific site conditions in the most efficient manner. Automatic: “On-the-go” regeneration is initiated when the engine control module determines conditions are acceptable. The articulated truck is not required to stop working. Automatic: Low idle regeneration is initiated when the machine is in a reduced operating mode for a predetermined period of time, and a number of conditions are met. The system is designed so that the operator can interrupt regeneration at any time. Manual: A manual regeneration is initiated by pressing the regeneration switch for five seconds. The machine must be brought to a non-operating mode in order to perform a manual regeneration.
- Engine Compression Brake
The Cat C13 ACERT engine compression brake improves retarding response and increases retarding power.
- Electronic Transmission
The Cat CX31 six-speed forward one-speed reverse Electronic Clutch Pressure Controlled (ECPC) transmission featuring Advanced Productivity Electronics Control Strategy (APECS) delivers smooth shifting with strong acceleration and high productivity. The Cat C13 ACERT engine coupled with the CX31 transmission deliver increased forward and reverses rimpull. Featuring:
- A speed hold/limiting function allows the machine speed to be limited in one km/h or one mph steps to conform to site speed restrictions.
- Critical gearshifts maintain direct drive lock-up, and eliminate dropping into converter drive. This maintains ground speed during shifts on grades.
- The transmission automatically modifies shift points to best suit operating conditions.
- Retarding levels are automatically reduced on lesser grades in lower gears.
- Torque Converter
A large diameter torque converter, configured for off highway applications, allows the engine power to be transmitted more efficiently to the lower power train.
Automatic Traction Control (ATC)
- Automatic Traction Control (ATC)
Fully Automatic Traction Control (ATC), with Inter-Axle-Differential lock (IAD) and Cross-Axle-Differential locks (XAD) feature oil immersed clutches that require no operator input. Operation is seamless and smooth, eliminating wheel slip for maximum traction. Sensors monitor the machine and wheel speeds, enabling instant response in low traction conditions. Fully automatic, independent, IAD and XAD clutches are engaged on-the-go to optimize machine performance and control in all conditions. Clutches are automatically disengaged when ground conditions dictate, maximizing efficiency when steering or on uneven ground. Clutches are engaged proportionally, from 0% to 100%, as ground conditions dictate. ATC eliminates wheel spin in soft underfoot ground conditions or on slippery grades. It also reduces tire and driveline abuse caused by improper manual operation of the differential clutches. The ATC allows ‘true' 6×6 drive with proportionally open differentials for best power efficiency.
Suspension and Brakes
- Front Suspension
The three-point front suspension oscillates ±6° to provide a smooth ride, allowing the operator to travel at speed over rough terrain. It softens impact loads on structures and components using an oscillating A-frame with a lateral tie rod to control axle sideways movement. Large bore, low-pressure cylinders are purpose designed for tough applications and offer a soft, smooth ride.
- Rear Suspension
The rear suspension features a walking beam geometry with Caterpillar designed, long life, rear suspension mounts, which provide a reliable and stable ride for excellent load retention.
- Mounting Points
Suspension mounting points are integrated into the axle housing, increasing reliability.
- Service Brakes
Dual-circuit, all wheel braking system. Full power hydraulic system actuates self-cleaning caliper disc brakes with independent front and rear circuits and accumulators.
- Parking Brake
Fitted to the center axle in an elevated position, spring applied and hydraulically released.
- Ride Comfort
The three-point front suspension with its oscillating axle and low-pressure ride struts, combined with the center-mounted cab, offer unrivaled levels of ride comfort for the operator in all driving conditions. The operator remains comfortable and productive throughout the day.
- Spacious Two-Person Cab
The 730C features a large two-person cab, offering comfortable working space for both the operator and passenger with large storage compartments. The 725C, 730C EJ, 735B, 740B and 740B EJ articulated trucks use the same spacious cab design.
- Air Suspension Seat
The air suspension seat enhances operator comfort with a cushioned upper high back, adjustable damping with three settings, ride zone indicator and adjustable lumbar settings. It is fully adjustable to provide the optimal driving position.
- Passenger Seat
Full-size passenger seat features a fully padded seat with a backrest and a wide, retractable seat belt for a secure and comfortable ride. The passenger seat is positioned next to the operator seat, giving both the operator and passenger a clear view of the instrument panel, controls and the road.
- Steering Column
A comfortable driving position is provided by a telescopic and tilt adjustable steering column.
Ease of Operation
- Ergonomic Layout
The controls and layout of the cab are designed to make operation as easy as your car. Quick, easy to read and simple to operate, the controls and gauges on the 730C allow the operator to concentrate on production.
The integrated wrap-around dash puts all controls within easy reach of the operator. Featuring LED illuminated rocker switches for the dash dimmer, rear wash wiper, hazard warning, head lamp, work lamp, heated mirrors (optional), secondary steer, heated seat (optional), machine security system (optional), A/C and cigar lighter. The Color Multi-Purpose Display (CMPD) unit incorporates the messenger and rear camera display. The cab provides an automotive feel with the industrial strength you would expect from Caterpillar.
- Color Multi-Purpose Display (CMPD)
The cab features a multi-screen display unit showing various levels of machine warning categories, performance and condition pages, including: Performance, Settings, Totals, Service, Machine Status, Operator, and Rearview Camera.
- Warning Categories
The monitoring system provides four warning categories.
- The first warning category requires only operator awareness.
- The second warning category requires a change in machine operation or maintenance to the system.
- The third warning category requires an immediate change of the machine operation.
- The fourth category requires the operator to immediately stop the machine.
The fourth category also requires the operator to immediately shut down the engine.
- Viewing Area
The low sloping hood and placement of the cooling package behind the cab give the operator excellent all-around visibility. The large glass area and central operator position also provide excellent visibility.
- Transmission and Hoist Levers
The transmission lever offers excellent comfort and control for transmission selection, hold and neutral lock. The hoist lever provides easy, comfortable operation.
- Front Frame
The front frame design features a large box section and wide, stiff frame beams to handle torque loads. The divergent frame design decreases stress in the hitch area and optimizes suspension geometry. The frame design makes maximum use of robotic welding for increased durability.
- Rear Frame
The four plate box constructed rear frame minimizes stress concentrations and provides low weight with long service life.
- Dump Body
Extensive use of 450 Brinell hardened steel provides excellent impact and wear resistance. Body top rail design reduces material spillage at the loading area. Diverging flow construction gives clean load ejection which maximizes production and avoids the waste of material carry back.
The three-point oscillating axle front suspension provides unparalleled ride quality. It also protects the truck from adverse road conditions by absorbing shock loads that would reach the frame.
- Articulating/Oscillating Hitch
The articulating hitch provides the truck with steering articulation, and the oscillation ensures all-wheel ground contact in rough terrain.
- Hitch Construction
The two-piece construction of the hitch features a durable cast steel head bolted to a hard wearing forged steel tube.
- Cat Product Link*
Cat Product Link allows remote monitoring of the Articulated Truck to improve overall fleet-management effectiveness. Product Link is deeply integrated into machine systems. Events and diagnostic codes, as well as hours, fuel, idle time and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application, VisionLink®. VisionLink includes powerful tools to convey information to users and dealers, including mapping, working/idle time, fuel level and more. *Product Link licensing not available in all areas. Please consult your Cat dealer for availability.
- Key Points
- See your entire fleet at a glance
- Monitor fuel usage
- Set up site boundaries and security alerts
- Click through to your Cat dealer for service and parts
- Customize the alerts and displays that matter to you
- Compare working time versus idle time
- Reduce owning and operating costs
- Get the right information to the right people at the right time
- Vital Information Maintenance System (VIMS™) upgrades available
- Robust new hardware
- Remarkably intuitive web-based interface
- Satellite and cellular coverage
- Open-system design for mixed-fleet use
- Long Service Intervals
Long engine oil change and hydraulic oil change intervals lower maintenance costs and downtime. Wheel-bearing adjustment is completely eliminated.
- Lube Points
Lube points are grouped at the rear of the front frame and the front of the rear frame. Universal joints are lubed for life, eliminating servicing. Autolube is optional.
- Service Points
Mounted on the left side of the engine under the electrically raised hood:
- Engine dipstick and fill cap
- Transmission dipstick and fill cap
- Air, fuel water separator and fuel filters
- Electrically operated fuel-priming pump
- Coolant level indicator and fill cap are outside the cab
- Electrical Service Center
Located inside the cab, this service center provides a power port, diagnostic connector and Cat Data Link connector.
- Cat Data Link Connector
The Cat Data Link connector provides a plug-in using a laptop computer with Electronic Technician (ET) software.
- Service Access
The cab tilts to the side to provide easy access underneath, which simplifies access to the transmission, drive shafts and hydraulic pumps. Machine electrical and hydraulic interfaces are located on the right side of the cab, behind a removable cab body panel for easy access.
Make comparisons of the machines you are considering before you buy. Your Cat dealer can help.
Consider the resale value; compare productivity and day-to-day operating costs and fuel consumption.
For the best operating techniques to increase productivity and your profit, contact your Cat dealer for the latest training literature and trained staff.
Repair option programs guarantee the cost of repairs up front. Diagnostic programs such as S•O•SSM and Technical Analysis help you avoid unscheduled repairs.
Repair or rebuild? Your Cat dealer can help you evaluate the costs so you can make the right choice.
- Product Support
Your local Cat dealership will be with you every step of the way with its unsurpassed worldwide parts support, trained technicians and customer support agreements.
For more complete information on Cat products, dealer services and industry solutions, visit us on the Web at www.cat.com.
- Product Safety
Caterpillar has been and continues to be proactive in developing machines that meet or exceed safety standards. Safety is an integral part of all machines and system designs.
- Safety Features
- Cab integral ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) and FOPS (Falling Object Protection System)
- Rearview camera system provides a continuous panoramic rearview or when reverse gear is selected
- The secondary and parking brake functions are spring applied and hydraulic released
- Electro-hydraulic secondary steering system automatically activates in forward/reverse or when stationary if low pressure is sensed. Can be manually selected for machine recovery purposes.
- External engine fuel cut off switch for easy access from outside of the machine
- External electrical system disconnect switch for easy access from outside of the machine
- Slip resistant surfaces - punched steel plate
- 75 mm (3 in) wide seat belts for operator/trainer and passenger
- Wide angled mirrors for excellent rear visibility
- Sweeping hood design for panoramic forward visibility
- Extensive handrails
- Body raised alarm
- Heated mirrors (optional)
- LED-flashing beacon (optional)
- LED width position marker lights for easier night time working
- Operator selectable machine speed limiting function
The 730C is designed to maximize efficiency and productivity while conserving natural resources.
- Air Quality
The Cat C13 ACERT engine incorporating the Cat Clean Emission Module (CEM) meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV emission requirements. The Cat C13 ACERT engine has the flexibility of running on either ultra-low-sulphur diesel (ULSD) fuel or bio-diesel up to B20 blended with ULSD. All fuels must have no more than 15 ppm sulphur.
- Recycle Waste
The Caterpillar Design, Manufacturing, Assembly and Test site at Peterlee in England recycle 98% of all waste produced with zero waste to landfill. The 730C is manufactured to be rebuilt and remanufactured to reduce waste and replacement costs. The 730C is an efficient, productive machine that is designed to conserve our natural resources for generations ahead.
- Glass Windows
- laminated and tinted-front
- toughened and tinted-sides and rear
- Rops/fops Cab, Machine Operation Monitoring System Includes
- Action lamp, engine oil pressure, primary steering system, left turn signal, high beam, coolant temperature, tachometer, parking brake, fuel level, right turn signal, transmission oil temperature, brake system, transmission hold, hoist control, hydraulic system, charging system, retarder, transmission fault, traction control system, check engine lamp
- Machine Serial Number Prefixes Tfb, Tff And Tfh Only
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) level, emission malfunction lamp, regeneration active, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), regeneration disabled
- Liquid Crystal Display (lcd)
- Alert indicator, selected gear and direction, speed or auto shift, review Operation and Maintenance Manual (OMM), primary steering failure, secondary steering failure, DPF regeneration filter (machine serial number prefixes TFB, TFF and TFH only), Machine Security System (MSS), secondary steering energy source engaged, hour meter and retarder active