986H Wheel Loader
move more material efficiently and safely at a lower cost per ton. The new 986H builds upon this legacy of durability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability and sustainability.
- Net Power
- Engine Model
- Cat® C15 ACERT™
- Torque Rise
- Rated Speed
- 1,800 rpm
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Gross Power - ISO 14396
- Peak Torque - 1,200 rpm
- Operating Weight
- Bucket Capacity Range
- 5-10.3 m3 (6.5-13.5 yd3)
- Cat Truck Match - Standard
- Cat Truck Match - High Lift
- Rated Payload - Loose Material (High Lift)
- Rated Payload - Loose Material (Standard)
- Rated Payload - Quarry Face
- Bucket Capacities
- 5-10.3 m3 (6.5-13.5 yd3)
- Transmission Type
- Cat planetary power shift
- Forward - 1
- Forward - 2
- Reverse - 1
- Reverse - 2
- Direct Drive - Reverse 2
- Direct Drive - Forward 2
- Direct Drive - Forward 3
- Direct Drive - Forward 4
- Direct Drive - Reverse 3
- Oscillation Angle
Hydraulic Cycle Times
- Rack Back
- Total Hydraulic Cycle Time
- Lower Float Down
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 159gal (US)
- 9gal (US)
- 20gal (US)
- Hydraulic System - Tank Only
- 33gal (US)
- Hydraulic System Factory Fill
- 87gal (US)
- Axle Oil
- 94gal (US)
- Cooling Systems
- 24gal (US)
- Differential - Final Drives - Front
- 49gal (US)
- Differential - Final Drives - Rear
- 45gal (US)
Hydraulic System - Lift/Tilt
- Lift/Tilt System - Circuit
- Load Sense
- Lift Cylinder - Stroke
- Lift Cylinder - Bore
- Maximum Flow at 2,165 rpm
- Lift/Tilt System - Pump
- 2 × 110 cc variable displacement
- Relief Valve Setting - Lift/Tilt
- Tilt Cylinder - Bore
- Tilt Cylinder - Stroke
Hydraulic System - Steering
- Maximum Flow at 2,284 rpm
- Steering Cut Off Pressure
- Steering System - Circuit
- Load Sense
- Steering System - Pump
- Piston, variable displacement
- Total Steering Angle
- SAE J1473 OCT90, ISO 3450:1992
- Robust Structures
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces.
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit loads into the frame.
- Cast axle pivot mounting areas better disperse stress loads for increased structural integrity.
- Lift Arms
Your key to maximum uptime and productivity is our field-proven lift arms.
- Excellent visibility to the bucket edges and work area through a Z-bar design.
- High load stresses are absorbed by the solid steel lift arms.
- Enhance strength in key pin areas through the use of one piece castings.
- Front Linkage
To ensure long life and reliability, the linkage pin joints feature a greased pin design with optional auto lube system.
- Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission designed specifically for mining applications.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls.
- Heat treated gears and shafts extend component life and maximize reliability.
- Four forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
- Cat C15 ACERT Engine
Durability and efficiency at the heart of your 986H comes from the Cat C15 ACERT engine. Optimum performance is built in to this 6 cylinder turbocharged engine.
- Mechanically Actuated Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™) controls injection pressure over the entire engine operating range. This gives the C15 ACERT engine complete control over injection timing, duration and pressure.
- Extended engine life through Cat components with proven reliability.
- The Advanced Diesel Engine Management (ADEM™) A4 electronic control module manages fuel delivery to optimize performance and provide quick engine response.
- Transmission Neutralizer Pedal
- Extends service brake life by neutralizing transmission as service brakes are applied.
- Allows full power to implement system while the machine is stationary during truck loading.
2) Set Point for Neutralization - Start of service brake pressure modulation 3) Full Pedal Travel - Maximum brake pressure
- Simple, Intuitive Operator Interface
Operators will be productive right away with our easy-to-use operator interface.
- Comfortable soft detent implement controls.
- Low effort, responsive steering wheel.
- Easy-to-use, in-cab programmable lift kickout allows the operator to pre set linkage positions and achieve faster cycle times.
- 3rd Valve Hydraulic Control
• Provides versatility through the ability to control a specialized attachment.
- Filtration System
Benefit from extended performance and reliability of your hydraulic system with our advanced filtration system.
- Implement pump case drain filters.
- Implement system filter.
- Steering pump case drain filters.
- Power train oil filter.
- Load Sense Hydraulics
Increase efficiency through our Load Sense Hydraulic System. Load sense hydraulics maximize performance by directing hydraulic fluid flow through implement and steering system only when needed.
- Lowered fuel consumption.
- Consistent performance and efficiency with lower system heat.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
- Entry and Exit
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with these newly designed, ergonomic features.
- Punch stamped tread plates provide excellent footing.
- Spacious cab provides ample space for comfortable entry and exit.
- Angled access ladder.
- Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- High back design and extra thick, contoured cushions.
- Air suspension system.
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments.
- Seat-mounted implement pod that moves with the seat.
- Optional heated seat for cold weather applications.
Your operator's productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Optional Rear View Camera
Cat Work Area Vision System (WAVS) enhances visibility around the job site through the use of a rear view camera. A camera mounted at the rear of the machine provides the input to the monitor display mounted in the front right corner of the cab, within the operators field of vision.
- Cat Monitoring System
This includes a digital readout for gear selection and ground speed as well as gauge displays for:
- Fuel tank level.
- Engine and steering oil pressures.
- Engine coolant temperature.
- Torque converter and hydraulic oil temperature.
- Engine inlet air temperature.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Machine Access
- Walkways with non-skid surfaces are designed into the service areas.
- Windshield cleaning platforms provide safe and convenient access for the operator.
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas.
- Angled access ladder and strategically placed grab handles provide safe access and egress for the operator.
- Operator Environment
- Low interior sound levels.
- Cab mounted LED warning beacon.
- Optional heated seat.
- Optional HID lights provide optimal workspace visibility.
- Full Roll Over Protection System (ROPS) integrated into cab design.
- We can help you succeed by ensuring your 986H has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Longer service intervals on fluids and filters.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access and grouped service points.
- Centralized, ground level grease points for injecting grease into linkage pin joints.
- Centralized remote pressure taps for power train components.
- Ground electrical service center with emergency engine shutdown switch, battery disconnect switch and circuit breakers.
- Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Improve your efficiency with operator training.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.
- Reducing Impact to the Environment
Sustainability is designed and built into our 986H's features.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste with our maintenance free or extended maintenance batteries.
- To assist with maximizing machine life, Caterpillar provides a number of sustainable options such as our Reman and Certified Rebuild programs. In these programs, reused or remanufactured components can deliver cost savings of 40 to 70 percent, which lowers operating cost while benefiting the environment.
- Caterpillar offers retrofit packages to bring new features to older machines, maximizing your resource. And, when you go through the Cat Certified Rebuild program, these retrofit kits are part of the rebuild process.
System Match Efficiency
- Efficient Combination
For full truck payloads with minimum loading time, an efficient loading/hauling system starts with a perfect match. Cat wheel loaders are matched with Cat articulated and off-highway trucks to maximize volume of material moved at the lowest operating cost per ton. The 986H equipped with the standard linkage is a perfect four pass match for the 770G (38.6 tonnes/42.6 tons). The 986H equipped with a high lift linkage is capable of loading a 772G (47.7 tonnes/52 tons) in 5 passes and a 773E or 773G (56 tonnes/61.7 tons) in 6 passes.
Bucket Ground Engaging Tools
- Performance Series Buckets
Performance Series Buckets feature an optimized profile maximizing material retention and minimizing dig time, translating into significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements. All 986H buckets are manufactured with the Performance Series design.
- Rock Bucket
Applications: Face loading tightly compacted pit materials.
- General Purpose Bucket
Applications: Loading loose, stockpiled material.
- Quick Coupler
The optional quick coupler allows the operator to quickly switch between multiple work tools, making the 986H highly versatile.
- GET Options
Multiple GET options are available to customize your 986H to your application, such as:
- Sidebar protectors.
- General duty and penetration tips.
- Standard and half arrow segments.
Enhance the productivity of your loader and protect your investment in buckets with our Ground Engaging Tools (GET). Your knowledgeable Cat dealer will work with you to understand your application and needs for the GET that is best for you. For a full list of Cat GET please visit http://www.cat.com/get.
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 115 amp
- Batteries, dry
- Battery disconnect switch
- Converter, 10/15 amp, 24V to 12V
- Lighting system (halogen, work lights)
- Operator Environment
- Air conditioner
- Cab, sound suppressed and pressurized
- Cigar lighter, ashtray
- Controls, lift and tilt function
- Heater, defroster
- Instrumentation, gauges: – Coolant temperature – Engine hour meter – Hydraulic oil temperature – Power train oil temperature
- Light, cab, dome
- Lunchbox, beverage holders
- Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
- Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth), air suspension, six-way adjustable
- Seat belt, retractable
- Tinted glass
- Transmission gear indicator
- Wet-Arm wipers/washers (front and rear): – Intermittent front and rear wipers
- Power Train
- Brakes, oil-cooled, multi-disc, service/secondary
- Driveline parking brake
- Engine, C15 ACERT diesel, turbocharged/aftercooled
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Ground level engine shutoff
- Precleaner, engine air intake (above hood)
- Torque converter with LUC
- Transmission, planetary powershift, 4F/3R electronic control
- Doors, service access (locking)
- Fuel tank
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Hydraulic, steering and brake filtration/screening system
- Oil sampling valves
- Premixed 50% concentration of extended life coolant with freeze protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- Steering, load sensing
- Quick coupler
- Batteries – additional
- Operator Environment
- AM/FM/CD radio
- Rearview camera (WAVS)
- LED strobe warning beacon
- Radio ready