938M Aggregate Handler Small Wheel Loader
train to deliver fuel efficiency as standard. The optimized Z-bar loader linkage combined with long wear life Performance Series buckets delivers improved payloads and bucket longevity. Extremely low sound levels, large spacious cab and intuitive controls keep you working comfortably all day and even all night! Experience this industry benchmark.
- Maximum Gross Power
- Note (4)
- Spark arrester performance as standard – Meets the performance requirements of EN 1834-1.2000 (section 6.4.2 Visual Test).
- Note (3)
- No derating required up to 3000 m (10,000 ft) altitude. Auto derate protects hydraulic and transmission systems.
- Note (2)
- Net power ratings are tested at the reference conditions for the specified standard and denote power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with alternator, air cleaner, emission components and fan at specified speed.
- Note (1)
- * Range 4 power and torque is equal to Performance Mode with Caterpillar Power by Range technology.
- Engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV emission standards.
- Engine Model
- Cat® C7.1 ACERT™
- Rated Net Power
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - ISO 14396
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - ISO 14396 (DIN)
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - Maximum Engine Speed (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - ISO 14396 (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - ISO 14396 (DIN) (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Rated Net Power - 1,800 rpm - SAE J1349 at Minimum Fan Speed (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Rated Net Power - 1,800 rpm - ISO 9249 (1977)/EEC 80/1269 at Minimum Fan Speed (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Rated Net Power - 1,800 rpm - ISO 9249 (DIN) at Minimum Fan Speed (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Maximum Gross Torque - ISO 14396 (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Maximum Net Torque - SAE J1349 (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Maximum Net Torque - ISO 9249 (1977)/EEC 80/1269 (Performance Power Mode: Range 1-4)
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - Maximum Engine Speed (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - ISO 14396 (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Maximum Rated Gross Power - ISO 14396 (DIN) (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Rated Net Power - 1,600 rpm - SAE J1349 at Minimum Fan Speed (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Rated Net Power - 1,600 rpm - ISO 9249 (1977)/EEC 80/1269 at Minimum Fan Speed (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Rated Net Power - 1,600 rpm - ISO 9249 (DIN) at Minimum Fan Speed (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Maximum Gross Torque - ISO 14396 (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Maximum Net Torque - SAE J1349 (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Maximum Net Torque - ISO 9249 (1977)/EEC 80/1269 (Standard Power Mode: Range 1-3*)
- Operating Weight
- Bucket Capacities
- 2.9-3.2 m3 (3.8-4.2 yd3)
- ISO 3471: 2008, FOPS: ISO 3449: 2005 LEVEL II
- Note (2)
- The Blue Angel environmental label is an optional attachment for Europe only.
- Note (1)
- * Measurements were conducted at 70% of maximum engine cooling fan speed. Sound level may vary at different engine cooling fan speeds. The cab was properly installed and maintained. The measurements were conducted with the cab doors and the cab windows cl
- Declared Sound Levels
- – Operator Sound Pressure Level (ISO 6396:2008): 68 dB(A)* – Exterior Sound Power Level (ISO 6395:2008): 101 dB(A)*
- Note (1)
- Steering system uses a dedicated load sensing variable displacement pump with dual double acting cylinders.
- Maximum Working Pressure - Steering Pump
- Maximum Steering Torque - 0° (Straight Machine)
- Maximum Flow - Steering Pump
- Maximum Steering Torque - 40° (Full Turn)
- Steering Cycle Times - Full Left to Full Right - Minimum RPM: Pump Flow Limited
- Steering Cycle Times - Full Left to Full Right - Maximum RPM: 90 rpm Steering Wheel Speed
- Note (2)
- Flow values listed are for a machine running in Performance Power Mode (1,800 rpm).
- Steering Cylinder, Double Acting - Bore Diameter
- Steering Cylinder, Double Acting - Rod Diameter
- Steering Cylinder, Double Acting - Stroke
Service Refill Capacities
- Transmission - Gear Box
- 2.9gal (US)
- Hydraulic Tank
- 23.8gal (US)
- Hydraulic System - Including Tank
- 44.9gal (US)
- Fuel Tank
- 51.5gal (US)
- Engine Crankcase
- 5.3gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 8.5gal (US)
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Tank
- 5gal (US)
- Front Axles
- 9.2gal (US)
- Rear Axles
- 9.2gal (US)
- Rear Axle
- Note (3)
- **Differential front locking axle can be engaged on the go at full torque to 20 km/h (12.4 mph) on the 938M.
- Note (2)
- Offset rims available to meet European roading requirements.
- Note (1)
- Power train is governed by the Caterpillar exclusive Intelligent Power Management system to deliver peak performance and efficiency.
- Front Axle - Traction Aid**
- Locking differential (standard)
- Front Axle
- Brakes - Service
- Outboard wet disc
- Brakes - Parking
- Spring applied hydraulically released
- Rear Axle - Oscillation Angle by Tire Size - 20.5 R25, 550/65, 600/65, 650/65
- ± 10.5 degrees
- Rear Axle - Oscillation Angle by Tire Size - 23.5 R25
- ± 7 degrees
- Rear Axle - Traction Aid - Optional
- Limited slip differential
- Full Turn Tip Load
Loader Hydraulic System
- Tilt Cylinder, Double Acting - Stroke
- Tilt Cylinder, Double Acting - Rod Diameter
- Tilt Cylinder, Double Acting - Bore Diameter
- Relief Pressure - Tilt Cylinder - 3rd Function Maximum Working Pressure
- Relief Pressure - Tilt Cylinder
- Note (3)
- * 3rd function flow is fully adjustable from 20% to 100% of maximum flow through the secondary display when equipped.
- Note (2)
- Flow values listed are for a machine running in Performance Power Mode (1,800 rpm)
- Maximum Working Pressure - Implement Pump
- Maximum Flow - Implement Pump
- Lift Cylinder, Double Acting - Stroke
- Lift Cylinder, Double Acting - Rod Diameter
- Lift Cylinder, Double Acting - Bore Diameter
- Maximum Flow - Implement Pump - 3rd Function*
- Cycle Times - Performance (HP+) at 1,800 rpm/Standard Power Mode at 1,600 rpm - Raise (Ground Level to Maximum Lift)
- 5.5/6.2 seconds
- Cycle Times - Performance (HP+) at 1,800 rpm/Standard Power Mode at 1,600 rpm - Dump (at Maximum Lift Height)
- 1.5/1.7 seconds
- Cycle Times - Performance (HP+) at 1,800 rpm/Standard Power Mode at 1,600 rpm - Float Down (Maximum Lift to Ground Level)
- 2.7/2.7 seconds
- Cycle Times - Performance (HP+) at 1,800 rpm/Standard Power Mode at 1,600 rpm - Total Cycle Time
- 9.7/10.6 seconds
- Note (1)
- Implement system uses a dedicated load sensing variable displacement pump with dual double acting lift cylinders and a single double acting tilt cylinder.
- Forward and Reverse - Range 1*
- 1-13 km/h (0.6-8 mph)
- Forward and Reverse - Range 2
- Forward and Reverse - Range 3
- Forward and Reverse - Range 4
- * Creeper control allows maximum speed range adjustability from 1 km/h (0.6 mph) to 13 km/h (8 mph) in Range 1 through the secondary display when equipped. Factory default is 7 km/h (4.4 mph).
Application Specific Configuration
Additional counterweight improves stability without reducing ground clearance or departure angle to maximize performance.
LONG LIFE SAND AND GRAVEL BUCKETS
Performance Series Buckets deliver higher fill factors and better material retention for significant productivity and fuel efficiency improvements. The buckets feature a long floor, open throat, curved side bars and additional serviceable wear plates including corner guards.
PROTECT YOUR POWER TRAIN
Increase your fording depths with optional elevated breathers. Remote mounted high on the machine for the front and rear axles and hydrostatic gear box. Allows settling pond clean out without contamination.
- Saves fuel and reduces cab sound levels
- Biggest gains are seen during load and carry, snow removal and roading applications
PERFORMANCE POWER MODE
- Enabled at the push of a button (HP+), boosts engine power by up to 10% and engine speed by over 12%
- Increases hydraulic cycle times and productivity
The Cat® C7.1 engine provides cleaner, quieter operation while delivering superior performance and durability through a high torque, low speed design. Caterpillar's exclusive Intelligent Power Management system monitors operator input and power availability to keep the machine working at peak efficiency and provide the operator with greater customization to suit their application.
A choice of Power Modes allows you to choose between maximum fuel efficiency or boosted power along with hydraulic speed.
STANDARD POWER MODE
Lock up and go with fully locking front differential axle that can be engaged on the move at full torque. Maximize your traction with optional Limited Slip Differential on the rear axle to keep you climbing.
Enjoy All Day Comfort
- Automatic climate control with heated rear glass and external mirrors
- Information at a glance with large primary LCD display
- Heated and cooled seat option
- Optional Ride Control
- Exclusive electro-hydraulic cylinder snubbing
- An extra eye on the job site with optional integrated rear object detection and optional* rearview camera
A spacious, quiet and comfortable operator environment helps keep you relaxed and productive throughout the day. Experience superior all around visibility with single piece front windshield, redesigned linkage and clean hydraulic lines routing. Seat-mounted controls featuring low effort joystick for lift and tilt functions along with integrated Forward/Neutral/Reverse switch, differential lock trigger and optional third and fourth auxiliary functions.
*Standard in Europe.
Customize Your Experience
- Select your Power Train Mode
- Reduce tire wear using Rimpull
- Fine tune ground speed with Creeper Control
- Adjustable Electo-Hydraulic Controls
- Set Directional Shift Response based on job application
The M Series Aggregate Handler will remember you and your personal settings with unique operator codes to make this machine truly yours and keep it secure.
Work as one with your machine by customizing your controls.
- Product Link™ PRO standard with optional subscription to VisionLink®.
- Maintenance reminders through secondary display at scheduled intervals.
- Fit for Life Diesel Particulate Filter that is designed to exceed the engine overhaul life.
- Quick fuel filter service with Caterpillar's exclusive electric fuel priming pump.
- Jump start studs as standard equipment.
- Extended cleanouts with single plane cooling system and wide spaced 6 fans per inch coolers as standard.
- Integrated Autolube (optional) with adjustable greasing frequency.
Get up and running quickly with ground level, daily service access and optional engine compartment lighting. Three large service doors can be opened and closed in any order to give full access to filters and service points. Extended service intervals on hydraulic and power train filters reduce service time and maximize uptime. Additional service features include:
With renowned Cat dealer support, rely on your Cat dealer to help you every step of the way with new or used machine sales, rental or rebuild options to meet your business needs.
Maximize your machine uptime with unsurpassed worldwide parts availability, trained technicians and customer support agreements.
Let us earn your business. Experience an M Series Small Wheel Loader and join the Caterpillar family.
- Power Train
- Axle seal guards
- Auto idle shut down feature
- Cat C7.1 ACERT engine: – Power Modes (Standard and Performance) – Power by Range (High Power in Range 4) – Turbocharged and aftercooled – Filtered crankcase breather – Diesel particulate filter (Fit for Life)
- Coolant protection to –34° C (–29° F)
- Differential lock in front axle
- Dry type air cleaner
- Enclosed wet disc full hydraulic brakes
- Fuel priming pump, automatic
- Fuel water separator
- Hydraulically driven demand cooling fan
- Intelligent hydrostatic transmission: – Power train modes – Directional Shift Aggressiveness – Rimpull control, adjust wheel torque – Creeper control, adjust ground speed
- Lubed for life driveshafts
- Parking brake, electric
- Wide spaced 6 fins per inch cooling package
- S·O·SSM sampling ports
- Throttle lock and maximum speed limiter
- Automatic lift, lower and tilt kickouts
- Bucket and Fork Modes, adjustable in-cab
- Cylinder damping at kickout and end stops
- Fine Mode control in Fork Mode
- Hydraulic Response setting
- Load sensing hydraulics and steering
- Seat-mounted hydraulic joystick controls
- Alternator, 115-amp, heavy duty
- 12V power supply in cab (2)
- Batteries, 1,000 CCA (2) 24 volt system
- Back-up alarm
- Emergency shutdown switch
- Heavy duty gear reduction starter
- Product Link PRO with subscription
- Remote jump start post
- Resettable main and critical function breakers
- Operator Environment
- 75 mm (3 in) retractable seat belt, with audible alarm and indicator
- Automatic temperature control
- Cab, enclosed and pressurized
- Cup holders
- External heated mirrors with lower parabolic
- Ground level cab door release
- Gauges: – Digital hour meter, odometer, tachometer, ground speed and direction indicator – Engine coolant temperature gauge – Fuel and Diesel Exhaust Fluid level – Hydraulic oil temperature gauge
- Hydraulic control lockout
- Interior cab lighting, door and dome
- Interior rearview mirrors (2)
- Lunch box storage
- Operator warning system indicators
- Radio ready speakers
- Rear window defrost, electric
- Seat-mounted controls, adjustable
- Sliding glass on the side windows
- Column mounted multi function control – lights, wipers, turn signal
- Suspension seat, fabric
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
- Wet arm wiper/washer, front and rear
- Other Standard Equipment
- Large-access enclosure doors
- Parallel lift loader linkage
- Recovery hitch with pin
- Remote mounted lubrication points
- Lockable compartments and enclosures
- Cab, Deluxe (standard In Europe):
- Automatic blower control
- Electrically adjustable heated mirrors (2)
- LED interior lighting
- Secondary display to adjust settings
- Cold Start Package:
- Ether starting aid, block heater and additional batteries 1,000 CCA (4 in total)
- Power train, (lower, side, driveshaft and crankcase)
- Windshield and lights
- Cylinders, tilt and steering
- Radio Packages:
- Radio ready with Bluetooth
- Radio, AM/FM with Bluetooth and clock
- Radio, AM/FM with CD player deluxe, weatherband, Bluetooth and clock
- Deluxe seat – fully adjustable fabric air suspension seat with high seat backrest
- Premium seat – fully adjustable leather and fabric air suspension with high backrest and air lumbar support. Heated and cooled bottom cushion and backrest.
- Dual mode and Secondary
- Bias ply, 17.5, 20.5-25
- Radial, 17.5, 20.5, 23.5, 550/65, 600/65, 650/65 R25