AD45B Underground Articulated Truck
costs. Engineered for performance, designed for comfort, built to last.
- Engine Model
- Cat® C18 ACERT™
- Rated Power
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Gross Power - VR Engine - SAE J1995
- Gross Power - Tier 3 Engine - SAE J1995
- Gross Machine Mass
- Nominal Payload Capacity
- Body Capacities
- 18.0-25.1 m3 (23.5-32.8 yd3)
- Empty - Front Axle
- Empty - Rear Axle
- Loaded - Front Axle
- Loaded - Rear Axle
- Total Cycle Time
- Articulation Angle
- Outside Clearance Radius*
- Inside Clearance Radius*
- Frame Oscillation
- *Clearance dimensions are for reference only.
- Forward - 1
- Forward - 2
- Forward - 3
- Forward - 4
- Forward - 5
- Forward - 6
- Forward - 7
- Reverse - 1
- Reverse - 2
Service Refill Capacities
- Engine Crankcase - With Filter
- 16.9gal (US)
- 15.9gal (US)
- Hydraulic Tank
- 70.3gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 22.5gal (US)
- Front Differential and Final Drives
- 20.3gal (US)
- Rear Differential and Final Drives
- 21.9gal (US)
- Fuel Tank
- 201.8gal (US)
- Ejector Body
- Dump Body - 1
- Dump Body - 2 - Standard
- Dump Body - 3
- Tire Size
- 29.5 × R29
- ROPS/FOPS Certified Cab
- Differential Ratio
- Final Drive Ratio
- Total Reduction Ratio
- Empty - Front Axle
- Empty - Rear Axle
- Loaded - Front Axle
- Loaded - Rear Axle
Power Train – Engine
The Cat C18 engine provides efficient fuel management for quick response, high productivity and exceptional service life. Torque rise effectively matches transmission shift points for maximum efficiency and fast cycle times. Mechanically Actuated, Electronic Unit Injection (MEUI™) high-pressure, direct injection fuel system electronically monitors operator demands and sensor inputs to optimize engine performance. Air-to-air aftercooling provides improved fuel economy by packing cooler, denser air into cylinders for more complete combustion of fuel and lower emissions. Turbo is water cooled to improve performance and service life. The Cat C18 engine features the optional Ventilation Reduction Package. The VR Package incorporates selective engine hardware and software to minimize diesel particulate matter in the engine exhaust. Engines equipped with the VR Package feature a significant ventilation rate reduction, maintains fuel consumption, and maintained or improved product performance. VR Package availability is subject to regional regulatory compliance. Optional U.S. EPA Tier 3 and EU Stage III compliant engine is also available. A Cat Diesel Particulate Filter can be used with the VR engine package. This filter compliments the VR engine by further reducing particulate matter in the exhaust. Requires the use of 15 PPM ultra low sulfur diesel and CJ-4 low ash engine oil.
Power Train – Transmission
- Mechanical Power Train
The Cat mechanical drive power train and power shift transmission provide unmatched operating efficiency and control on steep grades, in poor underfoot conditions, and on haul roads and drives with high rolling resistance.
The Cat seven-speed planetary power shift transmission is matched with the direct-injection C18 engine with ACERT technology to deliver constant power over a wide range of operating speeds.
- Robust Design
Designed for rugged underground mining conditions, the proven planetary power shift transmission is built for long life between overhauls.
- Lock Up Torque Converter
Combines maximum rimpull and cushioned shifting of torque converter drive with the efficiency and performance of direct drive. When engaged, lock-up provides superior power train efficiency by delivering more power to the wheels.
- Lock-Up Clutch
Quickly releases and re-engages to reduce power train torque loads for smoother shifting, long life and a more comfortable ride.
- Smooth Shifting
Individual clutch modulation provides smooth clutch engagements to optimize performance and extend clutch life.
- Final Drives
Cat final drives work as a system with the planetary power shift transmission to deliver maximum power to the ground. Built to withstand the forces of high torque and impact loads, final drives provide high torque multiplication to further reduce drive train stress.
- Full Floating Axles
Full floating axles relieve internal stresses and increase durability. Rolled splines also provide increased service life.
Engine/Power Train Integration
- Cat Data Link
Electronically integrates machine computer systems to optimize overall power train performance, increase reliability and component life, and reduce operating costs.
- Controlled Throttle Shifting – Regulates engine RPM, torque converter lock-up and transmission clutch engagement for smoother shifts and longer component life.
- Economy Shift Mode – Decreases fuel consumption, lowers noise levels and potentially longer engine life.
- Directional Shift Management – Regulates engine speed to prevent damage caused by high speed directional changes.
- Body-up Shift Inhibitor – Prevents the transmission from shifting above a pre-programmed gear without the body fully lowered.
- Electronic Technician (Cat ET)
Cat ET service tool provides service technicians with easy access to stored diagnostic data through Cat Data Link to simplify problem diagnosis and increase availability.
- Overspeed Protection
The Automatic Retarder Control (ARC) system provides engine overspeed protection. The ARC will engage the brakes if the following conditions exist at the same time:
- An unsafe engine speed is reached.
- The ARC on/off switch is in the ON position or the OFF position.
- The throttle is being depressed by the operator.
If the transmission is in top gear, the lockup clutch is deactivated in order to protect the engine against an engine overspeed condition.
Cat Brake System
- Integrated Braking System
The Cat oil-cooled braking system delivers reliable performance and control in the most extreme underground mining conditions. The integrated system combines the service, secondary, parking brake and retarding functions in the same robust system for optimum braking efficiency.
- Oil-Cooled Multiple Disc Brakes
Four-wheel, forced oil-cooled, multiple disc service brakes are continuously cooled by a water-to-oil heat exchangers for non-fade braking and retarding performance. They are also completely enclosed to prevent contamination and reduce maintenance.
- Automatic Retarder Control (ARC)
Electronically controls retarding on grade to maintain optimum engine RPM and oil cooling. Additional braking may be applied using the manual retarder or the brake pedal. ARC also allows the operator to maintain optimum engine speeds for faster downhill hauls and greater productivity. The ARC automatically activates when engine speed exceeds factory preset levels.
- Superior Control
Automatic brake modulation offers a smoother ride and greater control, allowing the operator to concentrate on driving.
The AD45B operator station is ergonomically designed for total machine control in a comfortable, productive and safe environment. All controls, levers, switches and gauges are positioned to maximize productivity and minimize operator fatigue.
- Protective Structure
Integral to the cab and frame, both the Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) and Falling Objects Protective Structure (FOPS) are resiliently mounted to the mainframe to isolate the operator from vibration for a more comfortable ride.
- Optional Enclosed Cab
Optional sound-suppressed ROPS cab provides a quiet, secure and comfortable air-conditioned working environment with fresh, pressurized, temperature-controlled air circulation.
- Suspension Seat
Ergonomic, fully adjustable suspension seat provides optimal operator comfort. Thick cushions reduce pressure on lower back and thighs. Wide, retractable seat belts provide a secure, comfortable restraint.
- Steering Column
Comfort wheel with tilt steering provides a comfortable driving position, secure grip and greater control.
- Monitoring System
Cat Electronic Monitoring System (Cat EMS) continuously provides critical machine data to keep the machine performing at top production levels. Displays are backlit for easy viewing.
Truck Body Systems
- Cat Truck Bodies
Caterpillar offers two specific body styles for the most efficient hauling solutions at the lowest cost-per-ton.
- Dump Body
- Ejector Body
The ejector body can now be easily removed and a dump body fitted for greater machine versatility.
- Body Selection
Selection of the right body depends on material, haul road, and dump conditions. The better the match of body to application, the greater the efficiency. Your Cat dealer can help you select the right body system for your site specific application.
- Body Design
Cat truck bodies are designed for optimal strength, capacity and durability. Drawing on years of experience in truck body design, Cat Truck Bodies are designed for long service life and low cost per ton.
- Body/Chassis Integration
Cat truck bodies are designed and matched with the integrated chassis system for optimum structural reliability, durability and long life.
- Fast Hoist Cycle Times
Single-stage hoist cylinders provide fast dump cycle times of 16 seconds for raise and 21 seconds for lower.
- Truck Payload Management System (TPMS)
The optional TPMS system calculates the payload the truck is carrying and determines truck cycle times.
- Frame Design
The frame uses box-section design with stiff frame beams to resist twisting forces. Materials and weld joints are matched to optimize the structural life of the frame.
- Articulating/Oscillating Hitch
This system provides steering and oscillation and enables the truck to maintain all wheel ground contact in rough terrain.
- Suspension System
Two independent variable rebound suspension cylinders dissipate haul road forces for longer frame life and a comfortable ride.
- Service Access
Easy access to daily service points simplifies servicing and reduces time spent on regular maintenance procedures.
- Ground-Level Access
Allows convenient servicing to all tanks, filters, lubrication points and compartment drains. Electric fuel priming. Remote mounted fuel filters for easier serviceability.
- Air Filters
Radial seal air filters are easy to change, reducing time required for air filter maintenance.
- Sight Gauges
Fluid level checks are made easier with sight gauges.
Cat Electronic Technician (Cat ET) service tool enables quick electronic diagnosis of machine performance and key diagnostic data for effective maintenance and repairs.
- Sealed Electrical Connectors
Electrical connectors are sealed to lock out dust and moisture. Harnesses are covered for protection. Wires are color and number coded for easy diagnosis and repair.
- Scheduled Oil Sampling
S·O·SSM helps avoid minor repairs becoming major ones. Sample point adapters fitted standard to machine.
- Dealer Capability
Cat dealers will provide the level of support you need, on a global scale. Dealer expert technicians have the knowledge, experience, training and tooling to handle your repair and maintenance needs, when and where you need them.
- Product Support
When Cat products reach the field, they are supported 24/7 by a worldwide network of reliable and prompt parts distribution facilities, dealer service centers, and technical training facilities to keep your equipment up and running.
- Service Support
Cat equipment is designed and built to provide maximum productivity and operating economy throughout its working life. Cat dealers will be with you every step of the way with its unsurpassed worldwide parts support, trained technicians and customer support agreements.
- Technology Products
Cat dealers offer a range of advanced technology products designed to improve efficiency, productivity and lower costs. VIMS™ Gen 3 option available from factory.
Repair or rebuild? Your Cat dealer can help you evaluate the costs so you can make the right choice.
- Product Safety
Caterpillar has been and continues to be proactive in developing mining machines that meet or exceed safety standards. Safety is an integral part of all machine and systems designs.
- Engine Shutoff Switch
A secondary engine shutoff switch is located at ground level.
- Integral ROPS Cab
Integral to the cab and frame, the ROPS is resiliently mounted to the frame to isolate the operator from vibration for a more comfortable ride.
- Brake Systems
Four corner oil-cooled braking system provides excellent control. The service brakes and retarding system are actuated by modulated hydraulic pressure, while the parking brake function is spring applied and hydraulic released. This system assures braking in the event of loss of hydraulic pressure.
- Operator Present System
Automatically engages parking brake, neutralizes steering, implement and transmission control, and shuts down the engine in the event the operator fails to apply the park brake prior to exiting the cab.
- Standard Safety Features
Anti-skid upper deck surfaces, upper deck handrails, 3-point cabin and machine access, push out safety glass, excellent visibility, suspension seat, passenger/training seat, inertia reel retractable belts, steering frame lock, rear window guard, body retaining pins, automatic retarder control, exhaust heat shielding and firewall fitted standard, hitch hydraulic hoses – burst protection sleeves fitted, tailgate retaining pins (ejector body), alternate exit via windows, ground level compartment sight glasses, hot and cold side of engine.
For more complete information on safety, please visit www.safety.cat.com.
- 12V power supply in cab
- Alternator, 95-amp
- Auxiliary start receptacle
- Battery disconnect switch, ground level
- Circuit breaker, 80-amp
- Corrosive protection spray
- Diagnostic connector
- Electric starting, 24V
- Engine shutdown switch, ground level
– Front left hand side
– Brake and tail light, LED
– Headlights with dimmer switch, halogen
– Rear work light (cab mounted), halogen
– Reversing lights, halogen
- Low maintenance batteries
- Reversing alarm
- Starting and charging system
- Operator Environment
- Cat Electronic Monitoring System (Cat EMS)
- Electric horns
– Engine coolant temperature
– Transmission coolant temperature
– Hydraulic oil temperature
– Fuel level
- Indicator lights
– Alert warning light
– Body up position warning
– High beam
– Residual brake pressure warning
– Retarder application
– Turn signal
- Low hydraulic level warning
- Open operator station ROPS/FOPS structure
- Operator presence system (auto park brake)
- Rearview mirrors
- Suspension seat Cat Comfort TLV2 with retractable seat belt
- Trainer/passenger seat and seat belt
- Tilt/telescopic steering wheel
- Turn signal indicators
- Power Train
- Cat C18 ATAAC diesel engine, 6-cylinder
- Automatic brake retarder control
- Auto shift transmission 7 speed forward/2 speed reverse
- Control throttle shifting
- Engine air intake precleaner
- Electric fuel priming pump
- Exhaust, turbo compartment shielding
- Four wheel drive
- Long life coolant
- Programmable ground speed limiting
- Programmable gear block out with tray up
- Radiator cap manual release
- Radiator, cross flow
- SAFR™ full hydraulic enclosed wet, multiple-disc brakes, oil cooled
- Torque converter, standard with automatic lockup
- Other Standard Equipment
- Body, dump, (21.3 m³/27.9 yd³)
- Catalytic exhaust purifier/muffler group
- Centralized lubrication points
- Decals, international picto graphics
- Dual fuel tanks
- Engine and transmission belly guards
- Fenders, front, rear flaps
- Fire wall
- Fuel system manual shut off tap
- Front axle suspension
- Frame lifting lugs
- Front and rear tow pin
- Front rubber bumpers
- Hand hold (access on/off top deck)
- Hitch, articulated and oscillated
- Operator and Maintenance Manual, English
- S·O·S port
– Engine oil
– Hydraulic oil
– Transmission oil
- Swing out radiator grill
- Tires and rims: A tire must be selected from the mandatory attachments section of the machine price list. Base machine price includes a standard tubeless rim allowance only.
- Optional Equipment
- Battery shutdown
– Ground level isolation, in cab isolation switch
– Ground level isolation, engine shutdown switch
– Ground level isolation, in cab isolation, engine shutdown switch
- Body dump
– Body, (18.0 m³/23.5 yd³)
– Body, (25.1 m³/32.8 yd³)
- Body ejector
– Ejector, (22.9 m³/30.0 yd³)
- Body liners, impact and/or wear
– 10 mm (0.4"), body, dump (18.0 m³/23.5 yd³)
– 10 mm (0.4"), body, dump (21.3 m³/27.9 yd³)
– 10 mm (0.4"), body, dump (25.1 m³/32.8 yd³)
– 10 mm (0.4"), body, ejector, (22.9 m³/30.0 yd³)
- Body wear plate, external
– 16 mm (0.62"), body, dump (18.0 m³/23.5 yd³)
– 16 mm (0.62"), body, dump (21.3 m³/27.9 yd³)
– 16 mm (0.62"), body, dump (25.1 m³/32.8 yd³)
- Brake pressure gauges
- Camera, color rear facing
- Cover, anti vandalism for shipping
- Engine options
– Diesel particulate filter (for use with VR engine only)
– Engine, Ventilation Reduction (VR)
– Tier 3
- Fast fill system
– Engine oil
– Fuel (dual tanks)
– Hydraulic oil
– Transmission oil
- Fire suppression system
– Ansul, dry powder
– Foam, water based
– Arctic fuel
– Arctic coolant
– Headlights with dimmer switch, LED
– Rear work light (cab mounted), LED
– Reversing lights, LED
- Lubrication system
– Automatic, dump or ejector body
– Centralized, ejector body
- Mine transfer
– Mine transfer ready front frame (tack welded)
– Mine transfer ready dump body (tack welded)
– Mine transfer ready ejector body (tack welded)
- Operators station ROPS/FOPS enclosed
– Air conditioning
– Cab pressurizer and filter
– Dome light
– Radio ready compartment for radio and speakers
– Sun visor
– Window, sliding cab door
- Operator and Maintenance Manual
- Park brake switch engagement
– Push to apply
– Pull to apply
– Truck Payload Measurement System (TPMS)
– Remote display for TPMS
- Reflective tape
– Rim identification numbering
– Spare, tubeless
– Suspension seat Cat Comfort TLV2, vinyl
– Suspension seat tee, mechanical
- Seat cover
– Tee and Cat Comfort TLV2
– Seat cover, companion
- Secondary steering system
- Service tools
– Collet jacking bolts, dump or ejector
– Diagnostics box
– Hoist cylinder supports (for body removal)
– Brake wear gauge
– Reference parts manual for additional tooling available
– Engine shutdown, fire suppression activation
– Idle timer
– Engine shutdown, fire suppression activation/idle timer
– Vital Information Management System (VIMS) Gen 3
- Tire arrangements
– Tire, 29.5 × R29 VSNT Bridgestone
– Tire, 29.5 × R29 VSDL Bridgestone
- Torque converter, high altitude, 3000 m (9,842 ft) and up
- NOTE: Not all features are available in all regions. See your Cat dealer for more information.
- Battery shutdown