798 AC Mining Truck
Weights - Approximate
- Nominal Rated Payload
- 410ton (US)
- Rated Gross Machine Weight
- Chassis Weight
- Body Weight Range
- 39 043 – 47 873 kg (86,075 – 105,542 lb)
- Note (1)
- Consult your tire manufacturer for maximum tire load.
- Note (2)
- Chassis weight with 100% fuel, hoist, body mounting group, rims, and tires.
- Note (3)
- Body weight varies depending on how body is equipped.
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Engine Model
- Cat® C175-16
- Standard Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Optional Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Rated Speed
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- Emissions Rating
- Fuel Optimized
- Note (1)
- Contact factory for high altitude configuration.
- Top Speed - Loaded
- Steer Angle
- Minimum Turning Radius
- Note (1)
- Payload assumes no debris, no extra options or attachments.
- Note (2)
- Refer to the Cat Mining Truck 10/10/20 Overload Policy (AEXQ0250) for maximum gross machine weight limitations.
- Front Wet Disc Brake Surface Area
- Rear - Wet Disc Brake Surface Area
- ISO 3450:2011
- Electric Retarding
- Radial Grid Design
- Dynamic Retarding Power - Continuous
Weight Distributions - Approximate
- Front Axle - Empty
- Rear Axle - Empty
- Front Axle - Loaded
- Rear Axle - Loaded
Capacity - HE Body - 100% fill factor
- 126.4-187.2 m³ (165-245 yd³)
- Heaped (SAE 2:1)
- 215.4-266 m³ (282-348 yd³)
- Dump Body Plate Thickness Varies Depending on Body Selection - Floor Plate
- Dump Body Plate Thickness Varies Depending on Body Selection - Front Plate
- Dump Body Plate Thickness Varies Depending on Body Selection - Side Plate
- Dump Body Plate Thickness Varies Depending on Body Selection - Canopy Plate
- Contact your local Cat dealer for body recommendations.
- ROPS Standards
- ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) cab offered by Caterpillar meets ISO 3471:2008 for Operator and ISO 13459:2012 for Trainer.
- FOPS Standards
- FOPS (Falling Objects Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449:2005 for Operator and ISO 13459:2012 Level II FOPS criteria for Trainer.
- Sound Standards (1)
- The operator sound pressure level measured according to work cycle procedures specified in ISO 6394:2008 and ISO 6396:2008 is 75 dB(A) for cab offered by Caterpillar when properly installed, maintained, and tested with doors and windows closed.
- Sound Standards (2)
- Hearing protection may be needed when operating with an open operator station and cab (when not properly maintained or doors/windows open) for extended periods or in a noisy environment.
- Steering Standards
- ISO 5010:2007
- Rated Gross Machine Weight is 623 690 kg (1,375,000 lb).
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 1300gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 211gal (US)
- 82gal (US)
- Final Drive - Each
- 67gal (US)
- Hydraulic Tank
- 296gal (US)
- Hydraulic System - Including Tank
- 385gal (US)
AC Drive System
- Brushless, engine mounted, dual bearing
- IGBT Inverter Technology, air cooled, pressurized cabinet with filtration
- Wheel Motor
- Cat AC induction, rear axle mounted
- Cooling System
- Variable speed, hydraulically driven cooling system
- Height - Top of ROPS
- Overall Length
- Wheel Base
- Rear Axle - Tail
- Ground Clearance
- Dump Clearance
- Loading Height - Empty
- Overall Height - Body Raised
- Centerline Front Tire Width
- Front Axle Clearance
- Canopy Width (without optional rock deflectors)
- Outside Body Width
- Inside Body Width
- Front Canopy Height
- Rear Axle - Clearance
- Centerline of Rear Dual Tire Width
- Overall Tire Width
- Total Reduction Ratio
- Standard Tires
- 59/80 R63.
- Note (1)
- Production capabilities of the 798 AC truck are such that, under certain job conditions, TKPH (TMPH) capabilities could be exceeded and, therefore, limit production.
- Note (2)
- Caterpillar recommends the customer evaluate all job conditions and consult tire manufacturer for proper tire selection.
Wide access stairways, service platforms for the engine, traction alternator and control cabinet, four corner wet disc brakes, and industry leading retarding.
Radial retard grid for improved right-hand view — make the lines darker so you can see where they are pointing.
— Wide field of view for greater visibility
— Integrated ROPS and FOPS
— Traction control
— Stored engergy dissipation at shutdown
— Reverse shift inhibitor
— Door sensor warning for park brake application
— Optional powered access stair attachment
— Optional Cat MineStar™ Detect proximity awareness
- PROVEN AND WORKING AROUND THE WORLD
— Frame design: 18M+ hours
— C175 engine: 22M+ hours
— Field validation: 46,000+ hours
— Highest-hour 798 AC: 15,000+ hours
— Electric-drive system: 5M+ hours
- HAULS MORE, HAULS FASTER
— Efficient design delivers higher payload
— Optimized drive system integration puts more power to the ground
- SUPERIOR CONTROLLABILITY
Boosts operator confidence:
— Strong dynamic retarding
— Robust design empowers operator to use oil-cooled brakes regardless of speed or payload
- BUMPER-TO-BUMPER CATERPILLAR
The individual components, software, systems and engine that go inside a Cat truck have different purposes, but they have one very important thing in common: They are all manufactured by Caterpillar and supported by the Cat dealer network.
This integration ensures that the entire truck — from body to bumper, engine to electronics — can be fully optimized to deliver the lowest cost per ton.
- ONLY SINGLE-SOURCE ELECTRIC DRIVE TRUCK IN ITS SIZE CLASS
The Cat engine, AC drive system, hydraulics and controls have been integrated to make the 798 easy to operate, providing excellent slow speed control within the service areas and superior throttle response on acceleration to move out of the loading or dump areas. Integration of the engine and powertrain delivers low operating costs through electronically combined powertrain components.
— 100% designed, validated and built by Caterpillar
— Full support of Cat dealer and parts network
- YOUR PARTNER FOR THE COMPLETE EQUIPMENT LIFECYCLE
No one knows more about how to get the most from a piece of Cat equipment than your local Cat dealer. This one-of-a-kind, on-the-ground support network delivers expert service, integrated solutions, after-sales support, fast and efficient parts fulfilment, world-class rebuild and remanufacturing capabilities, and more.
Cat dealers operate as nearly 200 local businesses — each one fully embedded in and committed to the geographic area it serves. That means you work with people you know, who know your business, and who respond on your timeframe.
- MINING — FOR A — BETTER WORLD
Governments and regulatory agencies mandate that you establish and follow environmentally sound policies and practices as you meet the demand for mined materials. We're focused on doing our part to make sure our trucks help you meet those regulations.
- REDUCING EMISSIONS
We've designed the 798 AC to use less fuel, which reduces engine emissions and carbon footprint. The optional U.S. EPA Tier 4 / EU Stage V engine reduces NOx and particulate matter. And we've reduced oil usage and filter change intervals.
We also continue to research alternative energy sources such as biofuels (B20) and a liquefied natural gas-supplied Dynamic Gas Blending solutions, electrification and trolley to find new ways to reduce emissions. In addition, we preserve raw materials, conserve energy and reduce emissions through the Cat Reman program, which returns end-of-life components to like-new condition.
The Cat AC drive is a high voltage system (2,600 volts) that operates at lower current than most competitive trucks. When combined with Cat's total integration and design of the truck and drive system, the result is higher efficiency, lower heat generation, smaller and lighter components, and longer component life.
—The Enhanced Engine Oil Filtration (EEOF) package, eliminates the need for an engine oil filter change and reduces oil usages.
- Engines with Advanced Technology
Engines with advanced technology contribute to better fuel economy and decreased emissions.
- BUILT TO BE REBUILT
Cat trucks are designed to last over 100,000 hours, and many are going well beyond that. The frame, powertrain, engine and components are built to be rebuilt — using new, remanufactured or rebuilt parts and components — so you can take advantage of multiple lives of like-new performance at a fraction-of-new price.
- OPTIMIZED PAYLOAD
The 798 AC delivers a true 372-tonne (410-ton) payload. Thanks to an efficient design, the class-leading payload is achieved regardless of local attachments.
- EFFICIENT HAULING
The 798 AC is the most efficient electric-drive truck in its size class. It moves more tonnes per liter (tons per gallon) and hauls more material faster — so you can move more over the course of a shift, or haul the same amount of material with fewer trucks.
- Cat® MineStar™ Solutions
Whether you want to address a single challenge or make step changes in the overall safety, efficiency and productivity of your surface operation, Cat® MineStar™ has a solution for you. MineStar is the mining industry's most comprehensive and thoroughly integrated suite of technology offerings.
Cat Fleet helps you identify opportunities to improve truck efficiency in ways that reduce costs, boost productivity and add real value to your bottom line.
— Eliminate Queuing
— Optimize Shift Changes
— Reduce Fuel Stops
- COMMAND FOR HAULING
This autonomous hauling solution helps improve productivity, efficiency and profitability while reducing overall costs.
What if your trucks could respond to calls to the shovel, move into position, haul to dump points and even report for maintenance — all without an operator on board? That's what Cat Command for hauling enables.
But this autonomous Cat MineStar solution is more than just an operator-free system. It takes advantage of the most sophisticated technologies available to deliver a next-generation haulage solution — one that boosts safety, productivity and availability on busy mine sites, especially those in difficult or remote locations. With autonomous hauling, the future is here — and we're there to help you bring it to your operation.
With the MineStar Detect proximity detection system, you can equip your 798 with cameras to give your operators a better view of what's happening around their equipment — or combine cameras and radar into a true object detection system that automatically alerts operators to hazards.
You can even add satellite capabilities to provide proximity warnings and avoidance zones, seat-belt monitoring that encourages operators to buckle up, and in-cab systems that intervene when they detect fatigue or distraction.
Truck Body Systems
- GET THE RIGHT BODY FOR THE JOB
When it comes to truck bodies, one size does not fit all. And when it comes to your Cat truck, Cat bodies are the best choice. We follow a dynamic approach to engineering — treating the body as part of a system rather than a static structure. Cat bodies are designed to be an integral part of the entire vehicle system, ensuring you achieve maximum chassis life.
— They're sized to meet payload requirements without compromise to vehicle balance, braking or control.
— From the design to the materials, manufacturing to shipping, the entire process meets Cat standards of quality and control.
— The Caterpillar exclusive 10/10/20 payload guidelines help achieve a balance of excellent payload with safe operation.
- Integrated Body and Chassis Design
Integral to the truck the body is designed to fit with the chassis and work as part of the truck system. Each body is sized to meet the payload requirements without compromise to vehicle balance, braking or control.
- High Efficiency (HE) Body
The body is sized and configured to meet the specific needs dictated by fragmentation, abrasion, cohesion, and the loading tool to maximize the payload capability of the truck.
- Curved floor, front, and canopy strengthens entire body as a structure.
- Strength of base plates allows minimal wear package and low operating weight.
- Joint isolation system reinforces welded areas and exploits high strength main plates.
- Runners transfer weight to the truck frame.
- SUPERIOR SERVICEABILITY
— Engine walkways
— Service platforms
— Modular components
— Ground-level, grouped service points
- EASIER MAINTENANCE, LESS OFTEN
— First overhaul life of 25,000 hours drives lower cost of ownership
— Separate drive motors and final drives enables service on individual components
— Engine and generator can be removed or installed separately, and dual-bearing generator design eliminates shimming
— Sealed and pressurized inverter cabinet requires no cleaning, which eliminates hundreds of hours of maintenance
— Long life radial grid with serviceable elements and AC motor control
- Optional Equipment
- 2312 kW (3,100 hp) setting available
- Throttle lock
- Timer, engine shutdown
- Body heat exhaust
- Fog lights
- LED Work Lights
- English or Metric gauges
- Payload, digital display
- Powered access ladder
- Inverter platform
- Fast fill fuel system (front and left)
- Rims: Six (6) position and quick change
- ANSI and ISO service instructions
- Retarding indicator light
- Front bumper center tow attachment
- Brake wear indicator tool
- Coolant –50° C (–58° F)
- HE dump body rock box liner
- Heated mirrors (LH and RH)
- Wheel chocks (ANSI and ISO)
- Portable fire extinguisher
- Murphy gauge
- High efficiency dump body
– 1530 kg/m³ (2,580 lb/yd³) density body
– 1650 kg/m³ (2,780 lb/yd³) density body
– 1770 kg/m³ (2,980 lb/yd³) density body
- Side profile lighting
- Central service