140M3 Motor Grader
get optimal performance on the jobsite. Get the best visibility with angled cab doors, tapered engine enclosure, and sloped rear window.
- Base Power (1st Gear) - Net
- Engine Model
- Cat® C9.3 ACERT™
- Speed at Rated Power
- 2,000 rpm
- VHP Plus Range - Net - Metric
- 149-188 kW (202-255 hp)
- VHP Plus Range - Net
- 149-188 kW (200-252 hp)
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 7th
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 6th
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 5th
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 4th
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 3rd
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 2nd
- Torque Rise
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 1st
- Standard Capability
- Maximum Torque - VHP Plus
- High Ambient - Fan Speed - Standard
- 1,400 rpm
- U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV
- Base Power (1st Gear) - Net - Metric
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Forward 8th
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Reverse 1st
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Reverse 2nd
- VHP Plus - Gear - Net Power - Reverse 3rd-6th
- Number of Cylinders
- Derating Altitude
- High Ambient - Fan Speed - Maximum
- 1,550 rpm
- High Ambient - Fan Speed - Minimum
- 500 rpm
- High - Ambient Capability
- Operating Weight - Typically Equipped
- Gross Vehicle Weight - Maximum - Front Axle
- Gross Vehicle Weight - Maximum - Rear Axle
- Operating Weight - Typically Equipped - Front Axle
- Operating Weight - Typically Equipped - Rear Axle
- Gross Vehicle Weight - Base - Front Axle
- Gross Vehicle Weight - Base - Rear Axle
- Gross Vehicle Weight - Maximum - Total
- Gross Vehicle Weight - Base - Total
- Operating Weight - Typically Equipped - Total
- Blade Width
- Moldboard - Height
- Moldboard - Thickness
- Arc Radius
- Throat Clearance
- Cutting Edge Width
- Cutting Edge Thickness
- End Bit - Width
- End Bit - Thickness
- Blade Pull - Base GVW
- Blade Pull - Maximum GVW
- Blade Down Pressure - Base GVW
- Blade Down Pressure - Maximum GVW
- Moldboard - Blade Width
- Top Speed - Forward
- Top Speed - Reverse
- Turning Radius - Outside Front Tires
- Steering Range - Left/Right
- Articulation Angle - Left/Right
- Forward - 1st
- Forward - 2nd
- Forward - 3rd
- Forward - 4th
- Forward - 5th
- Forward - 6th
- Forward - 7th
- Forward - 8th
- Reverse - 1st
- Reverse - 2nd
- Reverse - 3rd
- Reverse - 4th
- Reverse - 5th
- Reverse - 6th
- Fuel Capacity
- 104gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 15gal (US)
- Hydraulic System - Total
- 26.4gal (US)
- Hydraulic System - Tank
- 16.9gal (US)
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid
- 5.8gal (US)
- Transmission - Differential - Final Drives
- 18.5gal (US)
- Engine Oil
- 7.9gal (US)
- Tandem Housing - Each
- 20gal (US)
- Front Wheel Spindle Bearing Housing
- 0.13gal (US)
- Circle Drive Housing
- 1.8gal (US)
- Forward/Reverse Gears
- 8 Forward/6 Reverse
- APECS, Direct Drive, Powershift
- Brakes - Service
- Multiple Oil Disc
- Brakes - Service - Surface Area
- Brakes - Parking
- Multiple Oil Disc
- Brakes - Secondary
- Dual Circuit
- Circuit Type
- Pump Type
- Variable Piston
- Pump Output
- Maximum System Pressure
- Reservoir Tank Capacity
- 16.9gal (US)
- Standby Pressure
- Drawbar - Width
- Circle - Diameter
- Circle - Blade Beam Thickness
- Drawbar - Height
- Circle - Height
- Front Frame Structure - Height
- Front Frame Structure - Width
- Drawbar - Thickness
- Front-Top/Bottom Plate - Width
- Front-Top/Bottom Plate - Thickness
- Front Axle - Height to Center
- Front Axle - Wheel Lean - Left/Right
- Front Axle - Total Oscillation per Side
- Circle Centershift - Right
- Circle Centershift - Left
- Moldboard Sideshift - Right
- Moldboard Sideshift - Left
- Maximum Blade Position Angle
- Blade Tip Range - Forward
- Blade Tip Range - Backward
- Maximum Shoulder Reach Outside of Tires - Right
- Maximum Shoulder Reach Outside of Tires - Left
- Maximum Lift Above Ground
- Maximum Depth of Cut
- Rear - Scarifying Depth, Maximum
- Mid, V-Type - Working Width
- Mid, V-Type - Scarifying Depth, Maximum
- Mid, V-Type - Scarifier Shank Holder Spacing
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth - Scarifier Shank Holder Spacing
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth - Scarifier Shank Holders
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth - Scarifying Depth, Maximum
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth - Working Width
- Front, V-Type - Working Width
- Mid, V-Type - Scarifier Shank Holders
- Rear - Working Width
- Rear - Scarifier Shank Holders
- Rear - Scarifier Shank Holder Spacing
- Ripper Shank Holder Spacing
- Ripping Depth - Maximum
- Ripper Shank Holders
- Penetration Force
- Pry-Out Force
- Machine Length Increase, Beam Raised
- ISO 3450
- ISO 3471/ISO 3499
- ISO 6394; ISO 6395
- ISO 5010
Air Conditioning System
- Air Conditioning
- The air conditioning system on this machine contains the fluorinated greenhouse gas refrigerant R134a (Global Warming Potential = 1430). The system contains 1.8 kg of refrigerant which has a CO2 equivalent of 2.574 metric tonnes.
- Sidewall Thickness - Inner
- Sidewall Thickness - Outer
- Drive Chain Pitch
- Wheel Axle Spacing
- Tandem Oscillation - Front Up
- Tandem Oscillation - Front Down
- Height - Top of Cab
- Length - Counterweight to Ripper
- Width - Outside Front Tires
- Length - Front Axle to Mid Tandem
- Length - Front Tire to Rear of Machine
- Length - Front Axle to Moldboard
- Length - Between Tandem Axles
- Width - Outside Rear Tires
- Width - Tire Center Lines
- Height - Front Axle Center
- Height - Exhaust Stack
- Height - Top of Cylinders
- Ground Clearance - Rear Axle
Good visibility is key to your safety and efficiency. Angled cab doors, tapered engine enclosure and a sloped rear window make it easy to see the moldboard and tires, as well as behind the machine. An optional rear vision camera further enhances lines of sight all around the machine.
- In-Dash Instrument Cluster
A redesigned message display shows machine performance and diagnostic information, including DEF tank levels. Now located in the center console, it also displays Cat Grade Control Cross Slope readings conveniently in front of the operator.
- Comfort and Control
Experience the most comfortable cab in the industry. Joystick controls replace levers, so hand and arm movement is reduced by 78%, helping reduce operator fatigue for better productivity. Rocker and control switches are in easy reach. An updated seat with softer cushions and three-position cushion tilt adds to your overall comfort. You can even upgrade to a heated or heated/ventilated seat. An optional seat belt indicator feature is also available. Control pods can be adjusted electronically, making it easy to set your ideal operating position. Multiple isolation mounts significantly reduce sound and vibration for a more relaxed work environment. The high capacity Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system dehumidifies and pressurizes the cab, seals out dust and helps keep windows clear. Pop-out louvers circulate fresh air. An optional deluxe radio with CD features MP3 and Bluetooth technology.
Machine and Implement Controls
Two electro-hydraulic joysticks with electronically adjustable control pods help position operators for optimal comfort, visibility and productive operation.
- Joystick Functions
The left joystick controls machine direction, steering, articulation, return-to-center, wheel lean, gear selection, left moldboard lift cylinder and float. The right joystick controls drawbar, circle and moldboard functions as well as electronic throttle control and manual differential lock/unlock. The steer tire angle matches the joystick position. A brake tensioning system holds the joystick in position until the operator moves it. The steering control automatically reduces steering sensitivity at higher ground speeds for predictable control. Infinitely variable roller switches control the rear ripper and/or front lift group (when equipped). Optional Programmable Auxiliary Hydraulic Pod controls up to six additional hydraulic circuits.
- Electronic Throttle Control
Electronic Throttle Control helps improve productivity by providing the best match of horsepower and torque for the demands of the application.
- Articulation Return-to-Center
Automatically returns the machine to a straight frame position from any angle with the touch of a button.
- Selectable Blade Lift Modes
Choose the blade lift modulation mode that best fits your application or operating style: Fine, Normal, or Coarse.
A Cat C9.3 ACERT engine gives you the performance you need to maintain consistent grading speeds for maximum productivity. Every U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV ACERT engine is equipped with a combination of proven electronic, fuel, air and aftertreatment components. Applying proven technologies systematically and strategically helps meet your high expectations for productivity, fuel efficiency, reliability and service life.
- Hydraulic Demand Fan
The hydraulic demand fan automatically adjusts speed according to cooling requirements. When cooling demand is reduced, you benefit from more power to the ground and improved fuel efficiency.
- Engine Idle Shutdown Timer
This standard feature can be software-enabled by your Cat dealer to shut down the engine after a set period of time to save you fuel and help reduce emissions.
- Reversing Fan
When working in a high debris environment, adding the reversing fan option improves airflow to cut down the need for constant cleaning.
- Aftertreatment Technologies
Emissions reduction technology on the M Series 3 Motor Grader is designed to be transparent, with no action required from the operator. There is no need to stop. Regeneration runs automatically at cold start-up and, if needed, in the background while you work.
- Aftertreatment Technologies
Caterpillar designed Tier 4 Interim products with Tier 4 Final standards in mind. To meet the additional 80 percent reduction in NOx emissions required by EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV emission standards, Caterpillar engineers only needed to add one new system to the already proven aftertreatment solution in use, Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR).
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid
Selective Catalytic Reduction utilizes Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), which can be conveniently filled from ground level. Simply refill the DEF tank when you refuel. A gauge on the dash shows your fluid level. When you turn the machine off, a pump will automatically purge the DEF lines. A light located inside the rear engine compartment will turn off, telling you the purge is complete and that it is safe to turn off the electrical disconnect. If the engine/aftertreatment temperatures are high, a Delayed Engine Shutdown will activate automatically to cool the machine and then purge the lines. For complete aftertreatment information, please refer to your machine's Operation and Maintenance Manual.
- Front and Rear Axles
- Standard Automatic Differential Lock/Unlock monitors machine and application parameters to unlock/re-lock the differential during operation, improving production and enhancing comfort while protecting the power train.
- Full Electronic Clutch Pressure Control optimizes inching modulation for smooth shifts and directional changes.
- Programmable Autoshift option simplifies operation by allowing you to program the transmission to shift at optimal points to match your application.
- New standard Economy Mode can be turned on to help save fuel by reducing engine speed so the machine works in a more efficient range. The average fuel savings is up to 10 percent, depending on the application.
- Power Shift Countershaft Transmission maximizes power to the ground.
- Engine Over-Speed Protection prevents downshifting until an acceptable safe travel speed has been established.
- Front and Rear Axles
The sealed spindle keeps front axle bearings lubricated and protected from contaminants. The Cat “Live Spindle” design places the larger tapered roller bearing on the outside, where the load is greater, extending bearing life. A bolt-on modular rear axle improves serviceability and contamination control with easy access to differential components.
- Hydraulic Brakes
Oil-bathed multi-disc service brakes are hydraulically actuated for smooth, predictable braking and lower operating costs. Brakes are located at each tandem wheel and have a large total brake surface area to give you dependable stopping power and longer life.
Structures and Drawbar-Circle-Moldboard
- Easy Maintenance for More Uptime
Caterpillar designs motor grader frame and drawbar components to give you performance and durability. The one-piece forged steel circle stands up to high stress loads, and a sacrificial wear system helps keep your service time and costs down. The articulation hitch features a large tapered roller bearing to carry loads evenly and smoothly. It is sealed to prevent contamination and a locking pin prevents articulation for safety during service or transport.
- Easy Maintenance for More Uptime
The drawbar, circle and moldboard are designed to make it easy to keep the components tight. One person can easily adjust or replace the patented top-adjust drawbar wear inserts from the top of the drawbar plate, reducing downtime to save you money. Durable nylon composite wear inserts maximize circle torque and component life. Sacrificial brass wears strips between the blade mounting group and moldboard can be easily adjusted and replaced. The Shimless Moldboard Retention System uses vertical and horizontal adjusting screws to keep moldboard wear strips aligned for reduced blade chatter and precise blade control.
- Blade Angle and Moldboard
An aggressive blade angle, optimized moldboard curvature and large throat clearance help you work more efficiently by allowing material to roll more freely along the blade. Heat-treated rails, hardened cutting edges and end bits, and heavy duty bolts to give you greater moldboard reliability and long service life. The link bar allows extreme moldboard positioning for easier bank sloping and ditch cutting/cleaning.
- Responsive Hydraulics
A proven load-sensing system and advanced electro-hydraulics give you superior implement control and responsive hydraulic performance that helps make your operator's job easier. Continuously matching hydraulic flow/pressure to power demands creates less heat and reduces power consumption.
- Consistent, Predictable Movement - Proportional Priority Pressure-Compensating (PPP-C) valves have different flow rates for the head and rod ends of the cylinder, so you can count on consistent, predictable implement response.
- Balanced Flow - Hydraulic flow is proportioned to give you confidence that all implements will operate simultaneously without slowing the engine or speed of some implements.
- Blade Float
Allows the blade to move freely under its own weight. By floating both cylinders, the blade can follow the contours of the ground. Floating only one cylinder permits the toe of the blade to follow a hard surface while the operator controls the slope with the other lift cylinder.
- Independent Oil Supply
Large, separate hydraulic oil supplies prevent cross-contamination and provide proper oil cooling, which reduces heat build-up and extends component life. Cat XT™ hose allows high pressures for maximum power and reduced downtime.
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you'll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before. Cat Connect technologies offer improvements in these key areas: Equipment Management - increase uptime and reduce operating costs. Productivity - monitor production and manage job site efficiency. Safety - enhance job site awareness to keep your people and equipment safe. Featured Cat Connect technologies include:
Link technologies provide wireless capability to machines enabling two-way transfer of information collected by on-board sensors, control modules, and other Cat Connect technologies using off-board apps, such as our VisionLink software.
- Product Link™/VisionLink®
Product Link takes the guesswork out of equipment management. Track location, hours, fuel usage, productivity, idle time, diagnostic codes and more through the online VisionLink interface. Manage your fleet in real time so you can maximize efficiency, improve productivity, and lower operating costs.
Grade technologies combine digital design data, in-cab guidance, and automatic blade controls to enhance grading accuracy, reduce rework, and lower costs related to production earthmoving and rough, fine and finish grade applications.
- Cat Grade Control Cross Slope
Cat Grade Control Cross Slope is an optional fully integrated, factory installed system that helps your operator improve grading efficiency and more easily maintain accurate cross slopes. The system automatically controls one side of the blade, reducing manual operator inputs by as much as 50 percent. Experienced operators can maintain peak efficiency levels throughout more of the work day, while less experienced operators can be more productive faster. The system is job-ready from day one, and scalable for the future with AccuGrade™ upgrade kits that provide additional 2D and/or 3D control.
- Cat AccuGrade
AccuGrade is an optional dealer-installed grade control system that provides higher accuracy capabilities to the Cat Cross Slope system by adding Sonic, Laser, GPS, and/or Universal Total Station (UTS) technology when the job requires. In-cab guidance helps operators work more confidently and get to grade faster, in fewer passes, using less material, improving productivity and accuracy by nearly 50 percent over conventional methods. Grade stakes and checkers are minimized, making the job site safer and more cost effective. An AccuGrade Attachment Ready Option can be ordered as a factory or dealer-installed option. It includes built-in mounting points and internal wiring for easy installation of the AccuGrade system.
- Operator Presence Monitoring System
Standard system keeps the parking brake engaged and hydraulic implements disabled until the operator is seated and the machine is ready for operation.
- Speed Sensitive Steering
Standard function makes steering less sensitive as ground speed increases for greater operator confidence and control.
- Secondary Steering System
Standard feature automatically engages an electric hydraulic pump in case of a drop in steering pressure so the operator can steer the machine to a stop.
- Hydraulic Lockout
Disables all implement functions while still providing machine steering control. This standard safety feature is especially useful while roading.
- Brake Systems
Brakes are located at each tandem wheel to eliminate braking loads on the power train. Redundant brake systems utilize accumulators to enable stopping in case of machine failure.
- Walkways and Grab Rails
Perforated steel tandem walkways and convenient grab rails give you a sturdy platform when moving on, off and around the machine.
- Circle Drive Slip Clutch
Protects the drawbar, circle and moldboard from shock loads when the blade encounters an immovable object. This standard feature also reduces the possibility of abrupt directional changes in poor traction conditions.
- Blade Lift Accumulators
Help absorb impact loads to the moldboard by allowing vertical blade travel. This optional feature helps reduce wear and aids operator safety.
- M Series 3 Safety Features
- Optional rearview camera with in-cab monitor
- New optional seat belt indicator light reminds operator to fasten safety belt
- Grouped, ground level service points
- Laminated front window glass
- Optional LED Lighting
- Ground-level electrical disconnect switch
- Ground-level engine shutoff switch
- Anti-glare paint eases night operation
- Optional front and rear fenders
Work Tools and Attachments
- Moldboard Options
The 140M3 motor grader comes equipped with a 3.7 m (12 ft) moldboard. An optional 4.3 m (14 ft) blade is also available.
- Ground Engaging Tools (GET)
A variety of tools are available from Cat Work Tools, including cutting edges, graderbits and end bits, all designed for maximum service life and productivity.
- Front Mounted Groups
A front mounted push plate or front lift group are available. The front lift group can be combined with a front dozer blade or front scarifier for added versatility.
- Rear Ripper/Scarifier
Made to penetrate tough material fast and rip thoroughly for easier movement with the moldboard. The ripper includes three shanks (with holders for five). Nine scarifier shanks can also be added for additional versatility.
- Snow Removal Work Tools
Snow plow, snow wing and mounting options increase machine versatility and utilization throughout the year.
Smart Machine Systems
- Cat Messenger, combined with full systems integration, enhances diagnostic capability for quick analysis of critical data.
- Electronic Technician (Cat ET) lets service technicians access stored diagnostic data and configure machine parameters through the Cat Data Link.
- Low Battery Elevated Idle raises idle speed when low system voltage is detected, ensuring adequate system voltage and improving battery reliability.
- Automatic Engine Deration protects the engine by automatically lowering engine torque output and alerting the operator if critical conditions are detected.
Serviceability and Customer Support
- Unparalleled Dealer Support
Cat motor graders are designed to help you increase uptime and reduce costs. Grouped service points and extended service intervals save maintenance time. New optional LED lights in the left hand compartment makes it more convenient to service the machine in low light.
- Unparalleled Dealer Support
When it comes to supporting you, Cat dealers are second to none. From machine selection and purchase to maintenance support and rebuilds, Cat dealers have the experience and capabilities to help keep you up and running.
- Fuel Efficiency
- Integrated machine systems and technologies improve productivity for greater accuracy, allowing the machine to do more work per gallon of fuel.
- New Economy Mode feature allows the machine to work in the most efficient engine speed range to help reduce fuel use.
- Green House Gas Emissions
- Reduced fuel consumption means reduced CO2 emissions.
- M Series 3 Motor Graders meet U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV emission standards.
- Material Efficiency and Lifecycle Costs
- Replaceable wear parts save maintenance time and cost, and extend major component life.
- Major components are built to be rebuilt, eliminating waste and saving customers money by giving the machine and/or major components a second - and even third - life.
- Approximately 95% of machine materials can be recycled (ISO 16714) to conserve valuable natural resources and further enhance machine end-of-life value.
• Reduced engine noise and quieter cabs mean lower operator and spectator sound levels.
- Ecology drains help make draining fluids more convenient and help prevent spills.
- Cartridge style hydraulic fluid filters provide safe clean draining of filters prior to replacement, helping to prevent fluid spills.
- A variety of safety features help safeguard operators and others on the job site.
- Alternator, 280 ampere
- Batteries: extreme duty, 1,400 CCA
- Lights: Headlights, high
- Lights: Headlights, low
- Lights: Working lights, basic
- Lights: Working lights, plus, LED
- Lights: Warning: beacon or strobe
- Lights: Mounting for warning light
- Articulation guard
- Fenders, front
- Fenders, rear
- Front axle guard
- Sound suppression (bottom)
- Sound suppression (enclosure)
- Operator Environment
- Mirrors, outside: heated 24V
- Mirrors, outside: mounted
- Comfort Plus Arrangement
- Comfort Premium Arrangement
- Power Train
- All Wheel Drive
- Precleaner, snow
- Starter, extreme duty, 1,000 Amps
- Transmission, autoshift
- Other Attachments
- AccuGrade ARO
- Integrated cross slope
- Accumulators, blade lift
- Camera, rearview
- Cat Product Link 321SR
- Cat Product Link 522
- Drain, ecology, engine Wiggins
- Heater, engine coolant: 120V
- Heater, engine coolant: 240V
- Hydraulic arrangements with one or more additional hydraulic valves are available for rear ripper, dozer, snow plow and snow wing.
- Snow wing mounting, frame ready
- Starting aid, ether
- Reversing fan, automatic or manual
- Work Tools/g.e.t.
- Blade extension, left hand, 610 mm (2 ft)
- Blade extension, right hand, 610 mm (2 ft)
- Cutting edges, curved
- Endbits, overlay
- Front lift group, mounting
- Front lift group, mechanical
- Grader bit, narrow and super penetration
- Mid-Mount Scarifier, Package
- Moldboard: 4267 mm × 610 mm × 22 mm (14 ft × 24 in × 7/8 in)
- Moldboard: 4267 mm × 686 mm × 25 mm (14 ft × 27 in × 1 in)
- Push plate
- Ripper, rear
- Ripper tooth
- Scarifier, front
- Snow Arrangement
- Snow Wing Ready Package
- Tow hitch
- Machine Arrangements
- Canadian Arrangement
- European Arrangement
- TUV Roading Arrangement
- Optional Tire Arrangements
- Rim Size - 9 × 24; Wheel Group - Single-Piece; Tires - 14.0R24
- Rim Size - 13 × 25; Wheel Group - Single-Piece; Tires - 17.5R25
- Rim Size - 10 × 24; Wheel Group - Multi-Piece; Tires - 14.0R24
- Rim Size - 10 × 24; Wheel Group - Multi-Piece; Tires - 14.0-24
- Rim Size - 14 × 25; Wheel Group - Multi-Piece; Tires - 17.5R25
- Rim Size - 14 × 25; Wheel Group - Multi-Piece; Tires - 17.5-25
- Note: Consult your dealer for individual tire width, size and brand.