501/501HD Track Harvester
over the entire harvest area. The unique front entry cab allows for easy entry and exit and the cab tilts for servicing. The telescoping boom's V-shaped bottom extends the life of the wear pads and minimizes side-to-side movement as the boom telescopes in and out.
- Gross Power
- Engine Model
- Cat® C6.6 ACERT™ Tier 3
- Gross Power - 1,800 rpm
- Maximum Reach - With Head
- Swing Torque
- Swing Speed
- Maximum Tractive Effort
- Travel Speed - High
- Travel Speed - Low
- Operating Weight - Without Head
- Operating Weight - Without Attachment
- Track Length
- Number of Rollers
- 2 upper, 8 lower
- Track Gauge
- Ground Clearance
- Final Drive
- Size/Pitch (D-5 size)
Service Refill Capacities
- Swing Drive
- 1gal (US)
- Hydraulic Tank
- 60gal (US)
- Hydraulic System
- 60gal (US)
- Engine Oil
- 4gal (US)
- Cooling System
- 6.25gal (US)
- Fuel Tank
- 100gal (US)
- Hydraulic System Pressure
- Hydraulic Oil Flow at 2,200 rpm
- Pump Size - Carrier and Implement
- Gross Power - 1,800 rpm
- Engine Model
- Cat® C6.6 ACERT™
- Rated Power - 2,200 rpm
- Torque - Maximum
- Cab meets FOPS/OPS/ROPS requirements
- Fixed Linkage Boom Reach - Pin
- Telescopic Boom Reach - Pin
- Ground Pressure - Standard Pads
- Operating Weight - With Attachment (est.)
- Operating Weight - Without Head
- Fixed Linkage Lift Capacity - Gross - Maximum Reach
- Fixed Linkage Reach - Maximum
- Reach with Dangle Head on Telescopic Boom
- Reach with PF-48 Fixed Head on Fixed Linkage
- Telescopic Boom Lift Capacity - Gross - Maximum Reach
- Telescopic Boom Reach - Maximum
- Cat C6.6 Engine
The Cat C6.6 engine with ACERT™ Technology gives exceptional power and fuel efficiency, while meeting Tier 3, Stage IIIA emission requirements. This engine includes electronic governing, cold mode start strategy, automatic altitude compensation, electronic diagnostics and fault monitoring.
- Exceptional Cooling Capability
A side by side antifreeze, hydraulic, and charge air cooling package allows efficient heat rejection. The cooling package is located away from the harvesting front where less debris and dust exposure minimizes cleaning requirements.
- Cold Climate Capability
A thermal bypass in the hydraulic cooler line allows for quicker cold weather warm up of components by diverting oil back to the tank until the temperature of the oil requires cooling. An optional cold weather starting aid heats engine antifreeze and circulates it through the engine, hydraulic tank, and cab for easier start ups.
- Large Fuel Carrying Capacity
The 378 L (100 gal) fuel capacity allows extended operating shifts and includes a lockable compartment lid for security.
- Hydraulic Pump is Powerful, Responsive, Quiet
Designed for continuous, efficient and reliable operation, the harvester's axial piston hydraulic pump meets stringent requirements for noise, efficiency, controllability and durability.
- Valves are Load Sensing, Pressure Compensated
The valve system has proven reliability in forestry applications with its fuel efficient load sensing pressure compensated technology. Each section is designed specifically for the flow and pressure of the function, therefore optimizing machine functionality and fuel efficiency. Ramped and proportional carrier functions save mechanical wear and tear on structures. Hydraulic valve configurations are available for operating either fixed or dangle style harvesting heads.
- Automated control system
The IQAN computer based control system provides precise control of machine functions through fully proportional hydraulic valves.
- Electric Hydraulic Oil Fill Pump
The hydraulic oil site gauge provides easy visibility to know when hydraulic oil needs to be added. An easy accessible service hose allows hydraulic oil to be pumped through the hydraulic filtering system and into the tank. This reduces maintenance time and helps to maintain oil cleanliness requirements.
- Safe Front Entry System
The unique front entry cab allows for easy and safe access onto the track frame. Foot pedals are attached to the door to swing out of the way and are deactivated when the door is open. The reverse slope front window keeps snow and debris from falling onto the window. Accumulated moisture can be removed with the front window wiper/washer.
- Unobstructed Visibility
The engineered cab forward and rear engine design gives exceptional operator visibility, including to the boom side of the cab, so that potential trees to be harvested can be seen without swinging the cab for required visibility.
- IQAN-MD3 control system
The carrier control system provides full function graphics display for easy monitoring of machine parameters. Operators can enter individual response preferences to customize the joystick controls.
- Heated Air Suspension Seat
The heated air suspension seat features lumbar support and neck rests that provide optimum comfort. Armrests are adjustable in all directions and angles for full arm support, a reinforced seat structure designed for track machines absorbs added shock loads and optional four-way seat isolator provides additional vibration dampening.
- Channeled Air Flow System
A 40,000 BTU air conditioning and heater system includes channeled air flow to louvered vents for full coverage of the operator and defrosting/defogging of windows. An automatic control system maintains consistent temperature for a constant comfort level.
- Molded Consoles and Headliner
The molded consoles and headliner incorporated storage compartments and trays eliminate cab clutter. Two 12-volt power points provide flexibility in mounting additional electric and electronic equipment.
Structures and Undercarriage
- Strong X Body Design
The full length of the track frames are tied to the car body for strength and durability when maneuvering amongst stumps and rocks. The high walker design provides excellent ground clearance.
- Easy to Clean
The rounded upper surfaces of the track frames shed dirt and debris for easier cleaning and reduced wear.
- Integral Track Guards/Guides
Full length track guards provide complete chain support on uneven ground for reduced wear.
- Final Drives
High torque final drives provide the carrier with a 1.1 to 1 tractive effort to weight ratio for easy mobility in the woods while maintaining good speed to efficiently navigate from tree to tree.
The 2 top rollers and 8 bottom rollers are identical for parts commonality.
- Engine Mounted Behind Boom
The rear mounted engine provides effective counter balance for lift capabilities at full reach.
- Tanks Mounted in Counterweight
Fuel and hydraulic tanks are incorporated into the rear counterweight for increased balance on a low tail swing carrier.
- Wide Boom Mounting Base
The base of the boom has been widened to provide the strength required for side loads when pulling trees out of the standing forest.
- Heavy Duty Guarding
The engine and hydraulic compartments are well protected from falling debris and have sloped surfaces for easy cleaning.
Boom and Stick
- Fixed Linkage Boom
The fixed linkage boom provides 7.1 m (23.3 ft) reach to the tree with a PF-48 fixed head.
- Telescopic Boom
The telescopic boom for dangle heads provides 8.2 m (27 ft) reach to the tree. The 5 sided “V” bottom stick design provides increased strength for higher lift capacity and extended wear pad life for long serviceability.
- Steel Tube Lines
Steel tube hydraulic lines provide extended life and dissipate heat. Cover plates on the stick booms protect pipes from damage.
From thinning to final cut harvesting, a selection of harvesting heads are available, including fixed and dangle styles.
Owning and Operating Costs
- ACERT Technology, Fuel Economy
Based on ongoing testing, the fuel economy of Cat engines with ACERT Technology is 3 to 5 percent better than current competing technologies. This fuel economy is directly related to the complete combustion of fuel due to the integration between the electronic control that monitors conditions, the air management system that controls air volume and the fuel injection system that delivers the amount of fuel as needed.
- Designed for Forest Applications
The undercarriages are specifically designed for harvesting applications, providing the strength and durability that allows for a long service life. Engine and hydraulic canopies are durable to withstand working in the woods, and their sloped designs allow for easy shedding of debris for simplified cleaning.
- Automatic Idle Down
The harvester control system includes an automatic engine idle down feature to reduce fuel consumption during periods of inactivity.
- Rear Mounted Fuel and Hydraulic Tanks
The fuel and hydraulic tanks are located within the counterweight, allowing the entire side of the machine to be opened to access the complete hydraulic system from pump to valves.
- Forward Tilting Cab
The forward tilting cab allows easy access for under cab components and provides a platform for engine service.
- Easy Fluid Changes
An electric refill pump to add oil into the hydraulic tank maintains system cleanliness by passing all oil through the filtering system.
- Boom Grease Lines
Booms have grease lines extending from all pivot points down to the base of the main boom for on ground service.
- Hinged Covers
The covers over the engine and hydraulic components open for easy access, and feature sloping surfaces for easy cleaning.
- Debris Shedding Track Frames
The upper surfaces of the track frames are sloped for easier cleaning of dirt and debris.
Caterpillar is known the world over for the quality of customer support from its dealer network - the industry's best. No matter where you are, the expertise of a Cat dealer is always nearby. Your local Cat dealer is your forestry consultant who can recommend the machines, work tools and services to maximize your operation and provide the support to keep you at top productivity.
- 24-hour parts availability, where and when you need them, to minimize expensive downtime.
- Customer Support Agreements to lower your operating costs.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic programs, such as S·O·SSM oil analysis, inspection services and trend reporting to help avoid unscheduled repairs.
- Financing programs for buying, renting or leasing Cat equipment.
- Cat insurance to cover equipment losses from theft, collision, flood, upset or overturn, fire, vandalism and more.
- Product Link to manage your equipment fleet through remote monitoring.
For more information on Cat products, dealer services and industry solutions, visit us at www.cat.com.
Major structures and components are built to be rebuilt, reducing waste and replacement costs.
- ACERT™ Technology
ACERT™ Technology reduces engine emissions at point of combustion with less moving parts for lower operating costs.
- 12V system
- Master disconnect
- Circuit breaker protection
- 150 Amp alternator
- Two 12V maintenance free batteries
- Full lighting package - 12 cab mounted halogen light fixtures
- IQAN programmable control system
- MD3 full color graphics display screen
- Operator Environment
- Pressurized OPS-FOPS-ROPS cab
- Dual joystick control
- Reverse slope windshield
- Seat belt
- Isolation mountings
- Tinted 12.7 mm (1/2 in) polycarbonate windows
- Heated air suspension seat
- 40,000 BTU AC/Heater system with auto temp control
- Window defroster vents
- Two 12V power points
- Dome light
- Radio ready - includes speakers and AM/FM antennae
- Cup holder
- Front entry door
- Travel alarm
- Electric cab tilt
- Fire extinguisher mounting pad
- 3 escape routes
- Power Train
- Cat C6.6 ACERT™ engine meets Tier 3 emissions requirements
- Infinitely variable travel speed
- 49° C (120° F) ambient temperature cooling package
- Removable debris screen
- Swing out A/C condenser
- 378 L (100 gal) fuel tank
- Fuel water separator
- 140 cc (8.54 in3) variable displacement pump
- Closed circuit load sensing valves
- 228 L (60 gal) hydraulic tank
- Electric hydraulic oil fill pump
- Fully guarded forestry duty high walker undercarriage
- 8 lower rollers, 2 upper rollers
- Rock guard - shoe supports
- 610 mm (24 in) DG grouser pads with mud and snow relief
- Relief sprockets
- 2 speed track motors
- Automatic track brakes
- Interchangeable upper and lower rollers
- Heavy duty “D” tow rings
- Booms And Sticks
- Fixed boom arrangement with 3 bar linkage
- Telescopic boom arrangement with “V” bottom design
- 50% concentration extended life coolant
- Track Systems
- 610 mm (24 in) SG grouser pads with mud and snow relief
- 760 mm (30 in) DG grouser pads with mud and snow relief
- Other Equipment
- AM/FM/CD/Satellite Radio receiver
- Sun shades
- Five above door HID work lights
- Four way seat isolator
- Cold weather engine coolant and hydraulic tank warm up system
- Harvesting heads