420F2/420F2 IT Backhoe Loader
from job site to job site quickly and smoothly with the additional 6th gear on the autoshift transmission and optional lock-up torque converter.
- Net Power - SAE J1349
- Rated Net Power - ISO 9249
- Engine meets Tier 4 Final emission standards.
- Net Peak Torque - 1,400 rpm
- Rated Net Power - 2,200 rpm - SAE J1349
- Rated Net Power - 2,200 rpm - ISO 9249
- Gross Power - SAE J1995
- Gross Power - ISO 14396
- Engine Model
- Cat® C4.4 ACERT™
- Rated Net Power - 2,200 rpm - EEC 80/1269
- Net Peak Power - 1,800 rpm - SAE J1349
- Net Peak Power - 1,800 rpm - ISO 9249
- Net Peak Power - 1,800 rpm - EEC 80/1269
- Net Torque Rise - 1,400 rpm - SAE J1349
- Rated Net Power - SAE J1349
- Dig Depth - Standard
- Dig Depth - E-Stick Extended
- Operating Weight - Maximum
- Cab - ROPS/FOPS
- Ride Control
- Four Wheel Drive
- Counterweights - Option 1
- Air Conditioning
- Counterweights - Option 2
- Counterweights - Option 3
- MP Bucket (1.00 m3/1.30 yd3) - No Forks or Teeth
- Loader, IT with Quick Coupler
- Operating Weight - Maximum - ROPS Capacity
- Auto-Shift Transmission
- Extendible Stick
- Pump Type
- Variable Flow, Axial Piston
- Closed Center
- Pump Capacity at 2,200 rpm
- System Pressure - Backhoe
- System Pressure - Loader
- Feature (5)
- Parking brake is mechanically applied through an adjustable hand lever located on the right console.
- Feature (4)
- Parking/secondary brakes are independent of the service brake system.
- Feature (3)
- Foot operated brake pedals can be interlocked for roading.
- Feature (2)
- Self-adjusting, completely enclosed and sealed.
- Feature (1)
- Brakes meet the following standards: SAE J1473 and ISO 3450 requirements.
- Axle Oscillation
- 10 Degrees
- Rear Axle - Static
- Front Axle (4WD) - Static
- Front Axle (2WD) - Static
- Front Axle (2WD) - Dynamic
- Front Axle (4WD) - Dynamic
- Rear Axle - Dynamic
Service Refill Capacities
- Transmission - Auto-Shift - 4WD
- 5gal (US)
- Hydraulic System
- 25.1gal (US)
- Fuel Tank
- 42gal (US)
- Engine Oil - With Filter
- 2.3gal (US)
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid*
- 5gal (US)
- Cooling System with Air Conditioning
- 5.9gal (US)
- Transmission - Power Shuttle - 2WD
- 4gal (US)
- Transmission - Power Shuttle - 4WD
- 4gal (US)
- Rear Axle
- 4.4gal (US)
- Rear Axle - Planetaries
- 0.4gal (US)
- Front Axle (4WD)
- 2.9gal (US)
- Front Axle (4WD) - Planetaries
- 0.2gal (US)
- Note (2)
- Requires ultra-low sulfur fuel less than or equal to 15 ppm fuel sulfur.
- Note (1)
- * Must meet the requirements outlined in ISO 22241.
- Hydraulic Tank
- 10.6gal (US)
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Forward 1st
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Forward 2nd
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Forward 3rd
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Forward 4th
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Reverse 1st
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Reverse 2nd
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Reverse 3rd
- Power Shuttle Transmission - Reverse 4th
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Forward 1st
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Forward 2nd
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Forward 3rd
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Forward 4th
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Forward 5th
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Forward 6th
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Reverse 1st
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Reverse 2nd
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Reverse - 3rd
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Reverse - 2nd
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Reverse - 1st
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 6th LUC
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 6th
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 5th
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 4th
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 3rd
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 5th LUC
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 2nd
- Auto-Shift Transmission - With Lock-Up Torque Converter - Optional: Forward - 1st
- Auto-Shift - Optional - Reverse 3rd
- Choice 5
- Front: 340/80R 18/Rear: 500/70R 24 RT
- Choice 4
- Front: 340/80R 18/Rear: 19.5L-24 (12 ply) R4 ATU
- Choice 3
- Front: 12.5/80-18 NHS (12 ply) 1-3/Rear: 21L-24 (16 ply) R4 ATU
- Choice 2
- Front: 12.5/80-18 (12 ply) 1-3/Rear: 19.5L-24 (12 ply) ATU
- Choice 1
- Front: 11L-16 (12 ply) F-3/Rear: 19.5L-24 (12 ply) R4 ATU
- Front Wheel
- Turning Circle - 2WD/AWD (inner wheel not braked) - Outside Widest Loader Bucket
- Turning Circle - 2WD/AWD (inner wheel not braked) - Outside Front Wheels
- Rod Diameter
- Power Steering
- Axle Oscillation
- Cab - Sound
- ANSI/SAE J1166 OCT98 is 79 dB(A)
- Cab - ROPS
- SAE J1040 MAY94; ISO 3741 1994
- Cab - FOPS
- SAE J/ISO 3449 APR98 LEVEL II and ISO 3449: 1992 LEVEL II
- SAE J/ISO 3450; ISO 3450 1996
- Exterior Sound
- SAE J188 JUN86 is 76 dB(A)
- Feature (9)
- Direct injection fuel system provides accurate fuel delivery; remote mounted electric lift pump improves serviceability.
- Feature (8)
- Cylinder head's intake and exhaust ports are precision cast to promote optimum gas flow.
- Feature (7)
- Cylinder head is high strength, cast iron alloy construction with extra duty wall and deck thickness.
- Feature (6)
- Cylinder block is high strength, cast iron alloy of deep skirt, monobloc design for increased strength and long life.
- Feature (5)
- Heat resistant, silicone-chrome steel intake and STELLITE-faced exhaust valves provide long life.
- Feature (3)
- Forged chrome/molybdenum-steel crankshaft with crankshaft with either induction hardened or nitrocarburized journals.
- Feature (2)
- Three-ring pistons made of lightweight, silicon/aluminum alloy for strength and maximum thermal conductivity.
- Feature (14)
- Higher low end torque for better engine/machine performance.
- Feature (15)
- Engine is equipped with electric fuel priming pump.
- Feature (4)
- Front and rear crankshaft oil seals are “lip” type Viton and PTFE designs featuring an integral dust lip.
- Feature (13)
- High contact ratio/gear train, peripheral fixed isolation top cover and open deck block design reduce bare engine noise.
- Feature (12)
- Standard glow plug starting aid system for efficient cold weather starting.
- Feature (11)
- Direct electric, 12-volt starting and charging system with 880 CCA Group 31 maintenance free battery.
- Feature (10)
- Dry-type axial seal air cleaner with integral precleaner, automatic dust ejection system, and filter condition indicator.
- Feature (1)
- Regeneration is passive and does not require any input from the operator or disrupt work.
- Unmatched Comfort
The ergonomic, automotive style operator station helps you work comfortably and productively all day long. Choose the configuration that meets your needs – Canopy, Cab Deluxe or Cab Deluxe with Air Conditioning. Other features include:
- Adjustable air suspension seat
- Tilt and telescoping steering column
- Excellent visibility over hood and up to bucket dump
- Pantograph windshield wiper
- Large front windshield screen
- Large LCD gauge cluster screen
- Ample legroom
- Optional heated seat
- Differential lock button on loader lever
- Large opening windows
- Solid roof cab
- LED brake lights
- Heated seat (optional)
- Ride Control
The optional Ride Control System smoothes the ride in all conditions, including load and carry, highway roading or simply moving around the job site. The result can be increased operator comfort, potentially reducing operator fatigue, and improved material retention.
- Pattern Selector
The pattern selector switch, located in the cab, lets you change from an excavator to a backhoe control pattern simply by pressing a button. This lets you use the pattern you are most comfortable with so you can be more productive.
- Premium Gauge Cluster
Bright and large LCD screen makes it easy to monitor machine operation and settings. LED indicator lights and audible alarms allow the machine to clearly communicate with the operator.
- Safety Getting in and out of the Cab
New longer grab handles and ergonomic step placement makes it easy to maintain three points of contact when getting in and out of the cab.
- Joystick Controls
Cat Backhoe Loader joysticks are economically designed to provide precise control with low effort. Loader control levers on both the Single Tilt and Integrated Toolcarrier models offer a thumb roller for any 3rd function auxiliary. The differential lock control is newly located on the loader control to bring controllability to the operator's fingertips. New on the IT model is the forward, neutral, reverse control switch.
- Cat Engine
The Cat C4.4 ACERT engine operates quietly while delivering performance and durability. The engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final emission standards. Engine features includes:
- Selective catalytic reduction
- Diesel oxidation catalyst
- Diesel exhaust fluid with system purge
- Limited operator interaction
The standard power shuttle transmission provides four speeds forward and reverse. Hydraulically shifted clutches allow on-the-go direction and travel speed shifts. The optional auto-shift transmission matches gear with grade and load conditions. Now with six forward and reverse speeds, the machine can reach top speeds smoothly and quickly.
- The new optional lock-up torque converter, offered on the autoshift transmission, improves fuel efficiency up to 20% over the standard six gear autoshift. The lock-up torque converter also improves roading for long distances and with uphill climbs.
- Hydraulic proportional control valves deliver smooth speed and directional shifts.
- Four Wheel Drive option improves mobility and loader performance in poor underfoot conditions and can be activated on-the-go.
- Maximum roading speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) improves travel time between job sites.
- Brake Mode Selector
Brake mode selector switch has three positions: two wheel drive, two wheel drive with all wheel braking and four wheel drive. Two wheel drive with all wheel braking provides better tire life while roading and engages the front axle when brakes are applied for improved braking performance. Brake mode selector is included in the 4WD package.
- Load Sensing Hydraulics
Closed center hydraulic system matches pressure and flow to application demand. Whether you're in full trenching mode or digging around delicate services, you remain in control. In applications such as production trenching where speed is important, the system will provide the flow needed to get the job done quickly and efficiently. The load sensing hydraulic system provides:
- Better fuel efficiency
- Electronically controlled
- Quieter operation
- Reduced component wear
- Cooler hydraulic temperatures
- Full forces at any engine speed
- Flow Sharing Valves
Specifically tuned hydraulic valves allows for the multifunction of hydraulic components, without machine manipulation. Hydraulic fluid is shared between implements so that operation isn't interrupted.
- Hydraulic Lines
Combination two way and one way flow hydraulic lines add versatility to the machine. By simply changing the lever position, the machine can efficiently run either style hydro mechanical tool.
- Economy Mode
Cat Backhoe Loaders are able to reduce engine speed to 1,900 rpm while maintaining superior hydraulic power and performance.
The excavator-style boom is built for optimum performance and durability. The curved design provides added clearance when digging over obstacles or loading trucks. The narrow boom enhances the viewing area to the bucket and the trench throughout the operating range. More robust swing casting and double clevis design improves durability and reliability.
Serrated edges on the stick provide improved material clamping for clearing and demolition applications. The optional extendible stick (E-stick) increases reach and dig depth by approximately 1.2 m (4 ft).
- Programmable Auxiliary Flow Control
- Three auxiliary settings for two auxiliary functions
- Accessed through the gauge cluster, operators can match the hydraulic flow of the machine to a work tool attachment
Thumb mounting provisions are standard on every Cat Backhoe Loader for added machine versatility. Cat hydraulic thumbs are available for even greater versatility. Mechanical thumbs are also available through your Cat dealer.
Front loader arms deliver more reach, dump height and breakout. Choose the loader linkage that suits your application:
- Powerful Single Tilt Loader Linkage
- Delivers strong lift and breakout forces for a solid performance in backfilling and truck loading applications with pin-on buckets.
- Optional third function hydraulics are now operated by an ergonomically designed thumb roller.
- The operator can now engage the differential lock with a press of a button on the loader lever for added machine control.
Integrated Toolcarrier (IT) loader linkage (optional) provides high breakout forces with parallel lift for efficient loading and material handling:
- The versatile integrated toolcarrier comes with a standard hydraulic quick coupler and can use a wide range of Cat Work Tools for a variety of applications.
- The single lever IT loader control provides fine modulation of hydraulic work tools. A thumb roller operates auxiliary hydraulic functions on work tools such as multi purpose buckets, brooms and other attachments.
- The IT loader lever provides additional machine control by offering the Forward, Neutral and Reverse control switch at the operator's fingertips.
- Backhoe Work Tools
Increase the versatility of your machine with the large selection of backhoe attachments:
- Buckets – Standard Duty, Heavy Duty, Heavy Duty Rock, Soil Excavation, Coral and Ditch Cleaning
- Cold Planers
- Thumbs (mechanical and hydraulic)
- Vibratory Plate Compactors
- Quick Couplers
- Loader Work Tools
A wide range of loader attachments is available including:
- Buckets – General Purpose, Multi Purpose, Side Dump and Light Material
- Angle Blades
- Material Handling Arms
- Snow Plows
- IT Loader Quick Coupler
The quick coupler allows fast and easy connection to work tools. Mechanical work tools can be changed in less than 30 seconds from the comfort of the operator station.
- Backhoe Quick Coupler
Manual or hydraulic backhoe couplers make rear tool exchange quick and easy. New Cat dual lock coupler has a self-adjusting wedge design to ensure a tight fit. It also features a safety lock that automatically engages.
- Minimize Your Downtime
Convenient service features make maintenance easy, reducing your downtime:
- Hinged cooling pack provides easy access
- Tilt up hood provides easy, convenient access to all engine check points
- Engine side panels remove easily without the use of tools
- Cat Product Link™ system (optional) provides remote reporting of machine location and operating system parameters
- Renowned Dealer Support
From helping you choose the right machine to knowledgeable ongoing support, Cat dealers provide the best in sales and service.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts
- Best-in-class parts availability
- Operator training to help boost your profits
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts